  • Subject: Finishing 405 CD Shop Orders
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 13:04:45 EDT

One of our factory managers asked me the other day

"Al, can you 100% positively assure me that BPCS will not close shop orders
for purge until all of the neccessary inventory transactions have been
posted?"

Perhaps someone here can pass on some information that will improve my reply.

My reply was

1. I am 99% certain that if an order has not had all of its sub-components
consumed that are needed to make the order, that it will not get closed for
purge by BPCS 405 CD,
which is vastly superior to BPCS/36 in this respect,
even if a human being has posted labor saying all operations are done,
but I will have to do some research to be 100% sure of this.

2. A strong argument in favor of this notiion -
you may remember a couple years ago when we shortened the retention of ITH
inventory transactions to like 90 days,
then we discovered that shop orders that had been open for over 90 days would
not close,
because CST900 shop order purge uses the ITH data to calculate if all of the
inventory has been posted,
but we had gotten rid of some of the ITH data that the older orders needed.

If they would not purge because they lacked the ancient inventory history,
then it only stands to reason that current orders will not purge if they lack
inventory history that has not been posted yet.

3. However, we all know that we have been having intermittent mispostings due
to some mishaps in resolving JIT620 colliding with other inventory updates,
and also some use of improperly configured PCs that were not noticed fast
enough to avert bad data going in, which sometimes results in doubled up
inventory postings.  Obviously if an unfinished shop order has excess
inventory posted against it, then that order might close prematurely.

But the way to solve that problem is to eliminate the intermittent problems &
I have been working on that & it is going too slowly for my tastes, but we
are making progress.