  • Subject: Re: 6.04 CS to 6.10.1 Conversion/Implementation
  • From: "Genyphyr Novak" <novakg@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 22:12:53 -0600

Hello,

This is an extremely clean installing release of V6 BPCS. Users who follow
the instructions and are familiar with their AS/400 environments simply
don't have problems - and I could not say the same thing for prior V6
releases.

Most of the things Oludare mentioned also have nothing to do with Client
Server versus Mixed Mode style of BPCS, and in any case from the basic lack
of description it is impossible to tell what, if any problems actually
occured. Where are any details about what to watch out for? After reading
this posting I would imagine people are only more confused, or alarmed, but
certainly not helped, since no detail is given on either the specific
problem or a specific solution.

For example, what is this mention that you have to change a Newi program to
adopt all authority so that users can get in to BPCS? The instructions
clearly list the authority required of the USER PROFILE which STARTS the
daemon job. If this is done right, and the system is set up normally, you
don't have to change anything at all. There is no Newi program that must by
default be altered to make BPCS work.

There is one BMR closed out with a reasonable workaround, and maybe this is
what he was referring to? BMR 56434 describes a situation where the BPCS
users don't have *JOBCTL (the SSA profile, which users are a part of does
have this authority by default) and this causes their attempt to acces BPCS
via Newi to fail. This lack of authority causes the API QUSRJOBI to fail
when Newi is running and trying to retrieve information about the current
job to set up some things for BPCS. Only 1 program, called NWITCPIP, would
require any change (a  CHGPGM command) to work around this requirement, and
this is listed in the Workaround notes in the BMR. It is simple, and is ONLY
required if you do not give users *JOBCTL. Since the SSA profile has *JOBCTL
and most BPCS users are owned by this group profile, they get *JOBCTL. It is
certainly NOT part of the normal steps required to install the product.  If
this is how you set up your users, then read the BMR text on OGS and you can
see what is required.

Also, what was meant about TCPIP port restrictions and availability??  -
what is being communicated in this statement? I can not tell what this
refers to. Nor can I tell what is meant about 'library parameters' -  there
are parameters on installation panels which ask for that say what you want
to name your libraries when BPCS installs. Not sure why this is a 'gotcha'??
Please provide details if you are going to list problems.

Also what is the statement about missing messages? Which ones? Messages are
all delivered on the media inside the message files. Messages are often
"missing" if you apply BMRs and then do not apply the ADDLI or ADDMS
programs to add the new messages to your system. Whenever a BMR is ordered
you must run these programs to add the new messages. The messages have to be
added to the message files in all environments.

And what is wrong with the mentioned job descriptions?? There are no job
description in BPCS (CS or MM) called "TCL" or "NEWI". What about the other
job descriptions mentioned ? Many programs in BPCS use them and are
documented to do so. There is nothing new about those compared to 6004 or
6002, so I really don't understand the reference or problem here.

The instructions for installation and creating AS/400 environments tell you
exactly how to set the various job descriptions up properly when creating
new environments - they are not a 'hidden' gotcha if you read the
installation or configuration instructions in the appendix.

All I can think of is that someone didn't follow the instructions when
trying to configure the environment.

Of course you should always read the conversion report to find out if all
your records convert - that is really not a 'gotcha' - that is part of the
conversion processing and is also covered in the conversion instructions.
That is also true of MM and has nothing to do with MM over CS. It has to do
with your own database.

6101 is the current BPCS release, it is a stable release (see prior thread
topics that have other customers attesting to this). It is faster than other
V6 releases due to a technology change in the programs at runtime, and gets
rid of COM 'fat client' order entry - giving users the choice of a Green
screen or a 'GUI thin client' order entry, which can now be used with the
Web Browser Interface.

The longer you stay on an old release, the more you pay for it in support
issues and lack of new functionality.

Use OGS to download the 6100 and 6101 install and conversion instructions
AHEAD of time and READ them. Read the Net Change documents between your old
and new releases to see new features and differences. Read the Recently
Passed BMR list to see what 6100 BMRs are being done. Peruse OGS looking for
outstanding 6100 BMRs to see outstanding issues that matter to you. Focus
searches on product areas that you use heavily on your old release.

The decision to go with MM or CS is a business decision based upon what
style of presentation screens and input you want on site and what kind of
and size of server you want to buy, and what kind of input speed can be had
from each method.

The CS mode allows the Web Browser Interface (you must separately order
this, it is not part of the base release) to be used, making BPCS accessible
from the Internet or Intranet without additional software loaded on the PC.
That is a plus over MM that you might consider if you have lots of remote
sales people. Green screen navigation is easy for users who do lots and lots
of online transation processing where Order Entry is used very heavily -
that might make MM more attractive to you. The options are many to consider,
and the more specific you are about your questions, the better answer you
will get. You can also opt to install both CS and MM over the same database,
and get the benefits of both modes of BPCS, but this requires extra
attention when ordering, installing and testing BMRs.

Read the OGS Bulletins section to find any notices about problems in 6100 or
6101 that were discovered after install documents were cut to CD or for
Conversion BMRs. Read the IBM Informational APAR for BPCS if you are also
upgrading your AS/400 to a new OS/400 release at the same time, so that you
can make sure to get all the required PTFs. Call the Technical Helpline and
ask if there are any other late breaking issues if you want to double
check,.

Thanks

Genyphyr Novak
SSA GT