>  From:    cmassoglia@voyager.net

>  We have a number of invoices which appear to be hung.

We have some problems but not the same as yours ... we do not use L* files
for example.  Some of our solutions may be applicable to your scenarios.

If there was no problem, the data in many files should be in total agreement.
Reports, that compare data that should be in agreement, and only print when
there is disagreement, become lists of scenarios still waiting to be fixed, a
check list of sorts.
When we compare data in two or more places, representing billing data in
transition, and assuming our software written correctly, then the only
differences should be any data that is in transition right now, and mess ups
not yet cleaned up.

At our site, daily shipments are supposed to be 100% billed that evening, so
any of our discrepancy reports run after billing should only show list of
problems not yet fixed.  We have many such reports using Query/400.

The data flow that interests us are the files EC* to ES* & ITH to BB* to SI*
& RAR ... the asterisk represents more than one file with that same prefix
... links between these files include customer order, shipping document,
billing invoice

ECL has totals so far picked to ship, shipped, invoiced, received (resupply
orders)
We have a query to list item lines whose totals are not in sync & to math
what the difference is.  In theory, if this is run after billing done for the
day, and resupply orders excluded from the report (still in transition), then
the only discrepancies should be mess-ups that have not yet been fixed.

IYH transaction code "B" means billing, but it is really populated by shipping

Query/400 has capability of no-match ... list ONLY the records of this file
that have no corresponding match in that other file ... the query/400
documentation is a bit obtuse on how to work this, so you need to experiment
a bit to be sure you doing it right.

If you have an ES* record on a shipping document with no corresponding SI*
record on that same document, that gives you a list of shipments that never
got invoiced.  However, you also need to review manual activities that go
outside the system.  Sometimes we have problems in which this has to go out
right now, but the shipping PC is down, or some other problem, so we end up
with a shipment on paper but not in BPCS yet.

If you have an ITH_B transaction with no corresponding SIL invoice on that
item, that is another way to list items that got shipped but not billed.
Query/400 tip ... ITH is a monster file.  Any query lists of it must go via
JOBQ.

Because of risk of independent bombs in shipping & billing or reporting
errors many different people, it may be constructive to produce a daily "ship
sheet" shared across all corporate departments.  We generate ours off of BB*
& ES* files on eve of billing.  Recipients of our "ship sheet" are supposed
to do various checks & promptly report to accounting when

This price is wrong
This quantity is wrong
Something is missing
This should have been voided
Freight did not get billed to customer
or whatever the scenario is, so that corrections can be made promptly

Because you do not know exactly where in a process records got messed up, it
may be smarter to have a check list that identifies a mess up, fix customer
billing via post ship billing, delete the mess up remnants from BPCS to save
time of any future employees independently discovering the problem &
researching from the evidence left behind.

It is possible to add a general comment to the inventory history so that
someone scrolling through can see where we fixed what kind of problem.

Something to bear in mind when there is abnormal termination of somebody's
session.  Many applications create a "batch" of work associated with that
person's work station address & do not handle the stuff consistently.

If a shipping or billing or JIT6* session is disrupted & no action taken to
repair the session, the next user of that application at that workstation
will "reprocess" the work in the batch, which can lead to duplicate postings.

If an ORD500 session is disrupted, there is work session member information
of value in ECH & ECL files that can help diagnose the situation, but the
moment the user starts another session, the contents are totally wiped.

It is useful to know which applications use which methods.

Folks connected via PC network sessions had better be using addresses that
are truely unique in the first 8 characters because that is combined with
application codes in batch creation.  You will have big time corruption of
BPCS data if you let 2 or more users have identical first 8 character work
station addresses.

AS/400 Data Manager & Programmer for BPCS 405 CD Rel-02 mixed mode (twinax
interactive & batch) @ http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies - fax # 812-424-6838

+---