  • Subject: Re: "Record in use" message & resulting mess
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 14:21:13 EST

from MacWheel99@aol.com (Al)

Zzbpcs@aol.com (Jim) writes:

> However, I was refering to an RPG error stating, "record cannot be updated
>  because it is still locked by another user" ( the original posting spoke
of
>  F1 for help then F10 for job log in order to see who locked the
>  record...)

We have a recurring problem with JIT620.

For example Thurs Jan-18 there were 3 different users trying to do update
batches at the SAME time ON-LINE.  Some of the items involved were quite
common to our current production, so that odds favored a conflict.

I have given up trying to get my users to run batch jobs on JOBQ.  If they
were all running there & using same JOBQ then there would have been no
conflict & the tasks would have got done a whole lot sooner, however my
people who find stuff hung on JOBQ & respond are no more skilled at doing it
right than end users.  I suspect they need the on-line batch to take a break
from keying another JIT600 batch which is a certain hassle.

They get an error message.  They do not check the details.  They take the
default.
They get another error message. Ditto ditto ditto, then when taking a random
answer cannot get them out of the error condition repeat they come ask some
MIS person for help.  We do the cursor on error condition, F1 F10 locate lock
details, go to that work station to check story there, may find easy
solution, or whatever.

What I have found from analysing these messes is that as the labor tickets
are updated, there is some flag saying to the software "this labor got done
through the system" but there is no such flag for the inventory side, so that
if the process gets some distance, then hangs on conflict & user does a
retry, it can retry a string of programs ... labor does not get posted twice,
but multi-issue inventory gets reposted, for however many hundreds of labor
tickets are in the batch, then the process gets to the same point of the
previous hang, because the problem is that user in next cubicle in the middle
of INV500 transaction on some item & is away from desk, and because end user
not understand message, they take an "R" again thinking rhey retrying one
transaction, and in reality retrying a string of programs each posting
hundreds of transactions, and we get the inventory in triplicate now.

It is a fair statement that we have a dual need here.
End user training how to cope when get an error message.
Modification to try to do a better job of idiot proofing the process.

Areas I want to explore.

I know that I cannot totally prevent this scenario, I will just settle for
have it happen less offten, have less chaos, be easier to fix the damage.

Insert some flag or file existance in JIT620 SFC620 to prevent more than one
person doing this at the same time, since 90% of our 620 crashes are
triggered by this scenario.

Error Messages & what default hits when they just press enter & what would we
prefer to happen in that circumstance?

MONMSG that includes MSG to QSYSOPR and/oror a specific message queue for
specific problems, so that after a mess has been created, someone knows in a
timely manner that a mess has been created.

We have supplemented 610 with queries that list what is in the work station
batch file not yet posted, for the purpose of expediting verification
correctly keyed in ... vanilla 610 is aimed at someone who understands
production control & is showing them what will happen if this is posted, but
we have some clerical people who just need to see they did not do a typo.

I need to add to those queries with audit trail of items fueling inventory
transactions so that if we have a batch of 2,000 inventory multi-issue
updates that got done 5 times instead of 1 time, the person doing the
negative reversals has a list prepared to help get that job done.

Look in the update code to see if there is any place to insert an "I'm done"
flag to prevent duplicate inventory postings like is now done with the labor
side.

AS/400 Data Manager & Programmer for BPCS 405 CD Rel-02 mixed mode (twinax
interactive & batch) @ http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies - fax # 812-424-6838

+---