  • Subject: MRP question 4.05CD
  • From: Zzbpcs@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 08:36:15 EST

Good day,
We run BPCS 4.05 CD, full implementation ( all modules).
Often, Shop Order Material Needed is not an exact qty.
IE we expect to use 600 kg but actually issue 599.3 kg
(the total qty rec'd on a lower level shop order).
We have no intention of issuing the remainin 0.7 kg
but, of course, since the shop order is still open (for as much as a week for
lab testing) MRP sees a requirement for the 0.3 kg and creates a planned order
for 600 kg (std lot size), and purchasing is triggered to but enough raw
material to make 600 kg.
We used Minimum Planned Order % so we do not get an planned order untill we
need 1/2 a lot size ( 300 kg)
but that simply delays the inevitable. That is, as soon as a "legitimate"
requirement arrives for a new planned order, we get one order for 1200 kg ( new
correct 600
plus an additional 600 simply to satisfy the old remaining 0.3 from the still
open but basically completer shop order.
We are going to try Order Policy "I" Incremental above the std lot size with an
increment qty of 3 or 7 or some "wierd" number so we easily recognise it as a
order qty simply to fulfill an 'unreal' demand.
But, perhaps there is another way ??
We used to close out shop orders much more quickly.
Now we added a routing step for the lab to do their testing and report their
time on that order, so the shop order is open much longer.
Any suggestions ?

Thanks
Jim Barry
ZZBPCS@AOL.COM