  • Subject: Re: BPCS 405 CD Combine Year End & Physical for all factories
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 02:19:20 EST

from Al Macintyre

As soon as I answer a question, what they want to know changes.

The new need is to do physical inventory at ONE of our facilities at the same
time as we are doing year end.  We have done several physical inventories
with an end month in which year end is not in the picture, and vica versa.
This will be our first combination.  No one here knows the correct sequence
of the steps to be done.

Our applications are ACP ACR BIL BOM CST DRP GLD INV JIT MPS MRP ORD PUR SFC

I have put together a tentative sequence of events & invite people to poke
holes in it ... what is wrong with this picture.

We do end-month on Friday & weekend that is closest to calendar end-month.

When we do physical inventory, we shut down all operations in the warehouses
being inventoried in the middle of the week prior to the end-month, with the
actual physcial occurring Thu & Fri of that week, with the INV600 tags being
keyed in on Fri & finished up on Sat morning after some of the end-month
steps have run.

After all inventory related transactions are caught up into the computer for
the warehouses to be inventoried, we do INV660 & INV620 to get their tags.
Any shop floor WIP that is not at a valid BPCS item # is handled outside of
BPCS.

End-month steps up to a point when physical inventory & year end is involved
some monthly reports that we added
ACR230
ACR400
ACP230
some monthly reports that we added
Backup GO SAVE 21 (needs to be dedicated) takes just over 1 1/2 hours
ACP900
ACR900
INV920
INV900 (needs to be dedicated) takes 3-5 hours

when physical inventory or year end NOT in picture, INV900 is followed by
INV970 (needs to be dedicated)

Then some year-end steps

GLD900 preliminary ... final year end close will be done later after audit &
final adjustments
ACP920
ACP910
INV910

Ideally all of this will be completed Friday night ... I am in the building,
while the CFO is dialing in from home via PC Anywhere

Saturday morning the physical inventory crew finalize INV600 tags input ...
they are allowed to run reports & do inquiries.  They are not allowed to do
any BPCS updates other than INV600 tags.

Then we run a ton of INV7* reports & some other reports that we have added

An extra backup before INV650 - it might just be GO BACKUP & selected BPCS
libraries

INV650 for the warehouses involved in the physical
then we run some other reports we have added

some more end-month stuff that normally follows INV900
PUR900
PUR210
CAP900

end-year finalization
CAP910
PUR910
JIT900

end-month finish associated with inventory & updates
INV260 standard cost sets for each facility
various reports we've added

end-day updates
MRP120 verify date is next Monday
default refreshes to be sure correct warehouses get MRP
MRP500 MRP600 by facility
GLD105 open next period

another backup if time permits

Sunday

If we had any WIP tags (physical counted something that is not a valid BPCS
part), we enter shop orders just for what was done before the physical, with
heavy SFC540 to replicate where they left off & if there is a lot of it, we
do MRP500 600 net change on the facility involved
MRP540 done to get shop orders for Monday morning crew to work on based on
revised inventory picture

Monday Morning

Accounting GLD reports
GLD540
GLD520
GLD530
GLD510
GLD105 close the period

Now I do not know the significance of most of these steps ... I just put
together a tentative game plan based on studying the documentation on the
steps in our physical & year end check lists that seemed to be in conflict.

I have also been looking at archives & search engine OSG trying to improve my
picture of what we need to do.

Alister William Macintyre
Computer Data Janitor etc. of BPCS 405 CD Rel-02 on 400 model 170 OS4 V4R3
(forerunner to IBM e-Server i-Series 400)  @ http://www.cen-elec.com Central
Industries of Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and
electrical sub-assemblies

+---