  • Subject: RE: RE: Minimum balance
  • From: "Damon, Mitch" <MDamon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 16:30:54 -0400

Referring to the 9th edition of the APICS dictionary I see that the term
safety time is actually a quantity of time added to the lead time to
compensate for the variability of normal lead times.  Safety stock is
designed to compensate for variability of supply and/or demand regardless of
how it is calculated.  Our intent by using BPCS's Minimum Balance Horizon
and Minimum Balance Days fields is to provide for a minimum balance, or
safety stock, which is based on the level of demand in general as well as
the level of uncertainty. This is necessary since our seasonally can
increase the demand by an order of magnitude.
I am not sure I understand how the lead time to achieve this effect.

Mitch Damon, CPIM
Planning Systems Manager
Logistics - Rochester, NY
(716) 383-1070 ext.250