  • Subject: Re: the ASSET issue again
  • From: "L. S. Russell" <leslier@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 08:12:24 -0500

All true, but this stuff wouldn't fly in a *nix shop.  Some where out
there some propellar head has written an AS/SET optimizer or beautifier
for AS/SET generated C code.  So why do 400 programmers sit down and
take it?  Sure it is a case tool, but if you know it will generated RPG,
write it so that it generates optimized RPG not garbage (and I do mean
garbage).

It can be done, just take a look at the code generated by Macromedia's
Dreamweaver 2.0; compare that code to code generated by Frontpage 2000
and then by a competant HTML author.  You will see that Dreamweaver
generates some of the most elegant HTML on the planet (even better than
some hand coders).  Now HTML is a free form language, and a highly
complicated one at that, so if Macromedia can generate efficent and
pretty HTML why would you settle for ugly and inefficent code from your
ERP vendor?  And why would you deffend the tool maker for producing such
garbage??   Makes no sense to me.

gmihajlo@ssax.com wrote:

> [...]
>code
> has to run longer too, however if I compare that difference with improvements
>in
> performance achieved in latest BPCS versions (V6.1.01) by redesigning the
>code,
> I wouldn't consider it important. Try to see it in the way that by giving us
> (developers in SSA) a tool which makes our job easier and coding faster, it
>gave
> us more time to look into the quality of the code and use of techniques which
> would result in more performance efficient code. When saying this I have again
> V6.1.01 in mind which by all comments on this list, runs much better, faster
>and
> more reliable than its predcessors. I can also say that I believe that further
> improvements are also on the way and definitely you are going to see soon
>those
> dead subroutines disappearing from the code.
> At the end, for those who do not like to see AS/SET lines  of code in
>generated
> RPG source, you can choose a 'level of commenting in the generated code'
> parameter to be set to 'N' (none) (instead of 'P'=Partial, or 'F'=Full) at
> generation time and you will have them all taken out from RPG source. Bellow
>is
> the screen where this can be done (option 7 in ADK):

>  DP05025      Generation Options -  ACP200D
>
>  Run pre-processor . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   Y  Y N
>      Run in Batch or Interactive . . . . . . .   B  I B
>
>  Generation options  . . . . . . . . . . . . .   3  1 2 3 4 5
>      1=Generate source only
>      2=Generate objects only
>      3=Generate source and objects
>      4=None (Required for interactive pre-process)
>      5=Select all required objects for generation
>
>  Level of commenting in generated code . . . .   N   F P N
>      F=Full  P=Partial  N=None
>
>  Enter  F1=Help  F12=Cancel
>
> p.s.: this is not defence of SSA, it is just an opinion from somebody who
>found
> this tool not to be that bad as it is for some other people who prefer RPG.
>
> Regards,
> Goran
>
> "Bernard Burchell" <burchelb@connexus.net.au> on 09/18/2000 08:18:07 AM
>
> Please respond to BPCS-L@midrange.com
>
> To:   BPCS-L@midrange.com
> cc:    (bcc: Goran Mihajlovic/SSA/US)
>
> Subject:  Re: the ASSET issue again
>
> <plug on>
>
> 'AS/SET Quickie Print' can remove all the deleted code lines while leaving
> the genuine comments in.  Makes a program much easier to read.  Download:
> http://www.precosis.com.au .
> </plug>
>
> As for RPG source, in theory you're not supposed to read it.  But if
> debugging a program with STRISDB then yes, it's a bit of a strain!
> Fortunately ISDB colours the code lines differently so you only need to look
> for the comment immediately above an RPG code line.

+---