With respect to my advice on stepping outside the BPCS Box & looking at the
bigger IBM picture.

I am only 1 step ahead of Micki Rogers/MiWheel, when I need to be a bit
further ahead.  I only read about *PGMFAIL in the manuals earlier THIS WEEK &
I do not remember which manual it was.  I have not read enough yet to know
what might happen & how to access the Security Auditing stuff, but I suspect
it is part of the IBM Security 400 Tool Kit.

The "manuals" I was looking at were IBM standard security manuals & IBM Work
Management & Al Barsa's All we might like to know about SYSVAL from the
presentation he gave at COMMON & very kindly sent to me as a PDF file ... I
had my PC Guru print it out on a quality printer & receptionist put it in a
binder like a regular manual.

So while Jane Brown is thinking about doing something & asking for guidance,
I have also been thinking about security challenges & following a parallel
path of investigation.

Al Macintyre  ©¿©
MIS Manager Green Screen Programmer & Computer Janitor of BPCS 405 CD Rel-02
running on AS/400 V4R3 http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies

Subj:    Re: Security level
Date:   09/07/2000 7:29:03 AM Central Daylight Time
From:   Mrogers@miwheel.com (Micki Rogers/MiWheel)

When you change the QAUDLVL to *PGMFAIL, where will I see the logged
incident?

From Al Macintyre BPCS 405 CD on OS/4 V4R3

If you get it to work, I will be very interested in hearing from your
experiences.

1. Check your IBM manuals on security &
the advice from IBM Security Advisor.

http://www.as400.ibm.com/tstudio/secure1/index_av.htm

You can seton IBM Security Auditing with System Value QAUDLVL
which is a list of values such that one of them is *PGMFAIL
& what this will do for someone operating at Security Level 30
is every time someone runs something that
would fail if it was Level 40, it lets it run but it logs the incident, so
you can see all the stuff that is running on your system that works at 30
but won't at 40.  Assuming you have sufficient disk space for this, I would
let
this run for both a whole normal month, including fiscal month end, but also
for odd months like physical inventory & fiscal year end.

2. <snip>

>  From:    jbrown@behlen.ca (Jane Brown)
>
>  We are on BPCS version 4.05CD on an AS/400 Version 4.4.
>
>  We are thinking of changing to security level 40.
>  Are there any issues with BPCS in this regard?
>  What should a user have for special authority to be
>  able to function properly?
>
>  Any comments in this regard would be appreciated.
>
>  Jane Brown
>  Behlen Industries
+---