  • Subject: Re: Security level
  • From: "Micki Rogers/MiWheel" <Mrogers@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 07:53:08 -0400

When you change the QAUDLVL to *PGMFAIL, where will I see the logged
incident?

                    MacWheel99@aol.

                    com                    To:     BPCS-L@midrange.com

                    Sent by:               cc:

                    owner-bpcs-l@mi        Subject:     Re: Security level

                    drange.com

                    09/07/00 01:50

                    AM

                    Please respond

                    to BPCS-L

From Al Macintyre BPCS 405 CD on OS/4 V4R3

If you get it to work, I will be very interested in hearing from your
experiences.

1. Check your IBM manuals on security & the advice from IBM Security
Advisor.

http://www.as400.ibm.com/tstudio/secure1/index_av.htm

You can seton IBM Security Auditing with System Value QAUDLVL which is a
list
of  values such that one of them is *PGMFAIL & what this will do for
someone
operating at Security Level 30 is every time someone runs something that
would fail if it was Level 40, it lets it run but it logs the incident, so
you can see all the stuff that is running on your system that works at 30
but
won't at 40.  Assuming you have sufficient disk space for this, I would let

this run for both a whole normal month, including fiscal month end, but
also
for odd months like physical inventory & fiscal year end.

2. When we installed our OS/400 in 1998, in preparation for converting to
BPCS 405 CD, we started at Security Level 40 on the advice of IBM and our
hardware business partner.  I said but but but I saw in the BPCS 405
install
instructions that we have to be at Security Level 30 for BPCS to work
right,
but it was like everyone was saying "Al, a modern business today NEEDS to
be
at Security Level 40 ... you need to try this & only go back to 30 if it
does
not work right."  Well we had an endless string of security problems trying

to get BPCS 405 CD to work in our Pilot Testing, and in our files
conversion.
 We were a very heavy user of SSA Help Support.

This led to calls to top management of Central Industries, by high level
managers at SSA, claiming that I was not competent for this job, the
evidence
being that anyone who would try to install BPCS 405 CD at Security Level 40

obviously had no clue as to what they were doing.  It was like unanimous,
multiple leadership at SSA saying that BPCS 405 CAN NOT be installed at
Security Level 40, and that anyone who understands OS/400 & who READS the
SSA
implementation instructions either comprehends this or is unqualified for
the
job.

The SSA callers went on to offer Central the notion that SSA Professional
Services take over the job of implementing BPCS 405 CD for us, and if we
really truely wanted to run BPCS 405 CD at Security Level 40, SSA
Professional Services would be happy to spend our money converting BPCS 405

CD so that it would work there, but also warning us that would make BPCS so

heavily modified that SSA Help Support would not be able to help us in the
future.

I mentioned some of this later in some BPCS-L thread on Security issues &
various people who NOW are on the SSA staff & other companies whose
opinions
I respect, basically said that all of the above must be my not remembering
the scenarios correctly, because BPCS 405 CD can run at Security Level 40
without a big to do conversion wise ... there's just a few programs that
need
to be tweaked.  Think it terms of a budget of a few thousand dollars for
some
BPCS consultants to do that for us.  No big deal.

I now suspect that the problem was more with the CONVERSION process, and
IMPLEMENTING modules, not with RUNNING BPCS, and that perhaps SSA staff was

letting the desire to market SSA Professional Services get in the way of
explaining what the problem really was.

3. Perhaps you should contact your BPCS Tech Support place ... whether it
is
SSA or one of their competitors & ask this same question ... feel free to
quote from this post, since obviously different people have totally
different
perspectives on this topic.

It is my understanding that BPCS V6 does run at Security Level 40, so
presumably there is some SSA document some place that identifies what all
had
to be changed to make BPCS work at Security Level 40.

>  From:    jbrown@behlen.ca (Jane Brown)
>
>  We are on BPCS version 4.05CD on an AS/400 Version 4.4.
>
>  We are thinking of changing to security level 40.  Are there any issues
with
>  BPCS in this regard?  What should a user have for special authority to
be
>  able to function properly?
>
>  Any comments in this regard would be appreciated.
>
>  Jane Brown
>  Behlen Industries

Al Macintyre  ©¿©
MIS Manager Green Screen Programmer & Computer Janitor of BPCS 405 CD
Rel-02
running on AS/400 V4R3 http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies
+---