  • Subject: Re: FOD Costs
  • From: Zzbpcs@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 08:44:52 EDT

Al writes:

"Machine Load codes should come with valid machine rates & 0 labor rates
Labor Load codes should come with valid labor rates & 0 machine rates
Hours should be reported in concert with the type of work center loading.
If reported against the wrong kind, then there should be an error message to
block input of the wrong kind."
and
"why can't the 600 program take the fact of R or M user input
& just get the right code from work center & plug it in without harrassing
the data entry person?"

I have a client who needs all 3 kinds of hours in the Routing File ( Setup,
Run, Machine) and has different dollars per hour in the Workcenter File for
each type of hour. ( Someone sets up the machine, someone else runs the machine
for "awhile", then the machine runs unattended overnight). BPCS Cost system
properly handles this.
The "problem" arises because the Capacity Load Codes do not allow all 3 kinds
of hours to be accumulated for calculating the load on a workcenter.We are
forced to choose which types of hours are most important to count when
determining our capacity for work in the workcenter. But the Capacity Load
Codes (page 1 of the workcenter maintenance) do NOT have to match the Cost Load
Codes on page 2. In fact, you can have a routing operation with all 3 kinds of
hours but only cost 2 of those kinds of hours and capacity plan the 3rd. Or any
combination. This allows the planning folks to put in "how long does it usually
take (in 1/2 day increments perhaps)for scheduling purposes" and allows the
cost accountants to put in "how many human-hours
at 27.25 an hour does this operation take".
We all know that the accountants & the planners OUGHT to be using the same
hours ( "just tell the system the truth for crying out loud ! " )....but...

This is a case where the system's "flexibility" may have led to
misunderstanding and confusion.

And on a broader philosophical note....
Why do we still need to enter Actual Hours per operation? Many companies have
gone to backflushing labor as well as material. As one CFO asked "Why are we
spending money to track the cost of labor ? Don't we know what our labor costs
are ??"

Jim Barry
+---