  • Subject: Billing Shipping 405 CD Klutz Compounded
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 09:15:50 EDT

From Al Macintyre

We have stumbled into some serious mixtures of messes, and I attribute the
root causes to people need vacations & sometimes their replacement personnel
are trained pretty much only in how to do the job when nothing goes wrong &
are not able to cope effectively in various error recovery possibilities, and
sometimes we have sudden surprise employee turn over in knowledge worker
tasks where entirely too much corporate memory resides exclusively in the
mind of the worker who is no longer with us.

My feeble attempt at stating short specific questions:

1. When someone picks an order line for partial shipping, then ships, then
before the shipment has been billed they pick the same line for another
future partial shipment, which prevents the first billing from concluding,
can they in fact back out the second picking & not mess up anything else
until the billing gets finished?

2. Does BBL & the ES files get populated from each pick then ship, so that if
the same order line got shipped twice in the same day, or in two consecutive
days, the billing would reflect the dual shipments, once the line no longer
in picked status?

3. Picking Shipping Invoicing in concert updates customer Orders to reflect
requirements satisfied and updates Inventory to reflect production has gone
away, and posts to the Receivables.  If some output from a facility is in a
condition between two of those steps (Picking Shipping Invoicing) for several
days while we are trying to do klutz repair, can we be assured that the
requirements & inventory were updated in sync so that we are not lying to the
MRP Production Planning requirements for what is needed to get the next
shipment of repetitive business on schedule?

4.  When we do an RAR RCM reorg off the reorg menu, does it in fact recompute
what RCM totals from RAR records?   Or more importantly, what is not
recomputed?

5.  When we have a billing crash & manage to repair the damage but forget to
reset the work station involved & run more billing from the crashed work
station, can we be reasonably sure that the only place containing corrupted
data is the duplicated invoice generation in to the RAR file, which
fortunately are easy to find because the invoice numbers are negative
numbers?  In other words we have stopped GL post until we have this cleaned
up & want to review which files we need to unmess with other than RAR data,
then re-run reorg RAR & RCM to get the totals   I realize that the sales
totals & shipping history will be off, but at the moment my main concern is
with getting clean billing records to our customers, then minimizing any
corruption of populating data going to GL.

6. Bogus invoicing creates ITH inventory history records just like valid
invoicing.  Do I presume correctly that in wiping out the bogus invoices &
making sure inventory and customer requirements are correct, any history
showing on INV300 will only reflect running balance incorrectly beyond the
point of this going kaput?  I am tempted to post a comment in the history on
each of the shipped items involved to remind folks that here was where the
inventory history was corrupted by the Summer Shipping Snafus.

7. We have thankfully found only a few invoices in which data from totally
different shipments orders customers managed to get combined, which I think
is due to the workstations not being reset & far too many people do not
understand "Please stay out of Customer Orders until we tell you it is safe
to get back in again"  I want to make a query to look at invoice data to see
if there are any more like these that we may have overlooked.  Would SIL be
the closest file BPCS 405 CD has to an image of all the data in lines that
show up on our invoices?

8. There is an option to correct shipment documents then reprint them in
corrected form, which we have not been using, except for a klutz scenario in
which someone was using the reprint capability to create previously
non-existant shipments & we only found out that they were not following the
documented steps when they asked for a modification to simplify all the extra
unneccessary work they were doing.

Can this alter past shipment & reprint story be run after the billing has
been done on a shipment?  My thinking is that this might be the solution to
the invoices that managed to merge multiple shipments ... kill those invoices
& the associated BBL remnants, then regenerate the stuff off of the shipment
redo option, or does it get some of its input from BBL & SIL both of which we
have totally corrupted?

9. When we have corrupted data known to have been messed up by things that
happened outside the normal flow of BPCS processing, such as using a work
station corrupted from an earlier crash without it being reset, or someone
turning off an in use flag when the order really was in use, are we better
off deleting the unwanted records outside of BPCS?

When we know the data is wrong because of actions totally within the bounds
of BPCS such as second picking after shipping before first billing, or
shippers & biller communications that shipping will stop updating customer
orders until billing reruns yesterday's remnants, then a shipping person
ignores the agreement & slips in some more shipping anyway, are we better off
fixing the results totally within the BPCS process?

This is assuming we are able to connect the dots between all the things that
went wrong and the various causes of the messes.

10.  When there are aborted jobs & no one else is told that this happens,
because the end user involved does not realize such notification is
advisable, short of checking every possible combination of work station
reset, is there some reasonably easy way to dump the work station status
information so as to see which work stations are messed up for which tasks?

11. I believe that DISPLAY ACTIVE BPCS JOBS from
http://www.precosis.com.au/piu1.htm
would be a life saver in coping with this kind of scenario, but I have not
been able to convince the powers that be of this ... perhaps the way to fly
would be to arrange a trial in which the trial starts when one of these
messes start, then take it away from them ... this is also something so
inexpensive that myself or a group of co-workers could chip in & buy it as a
gift to all other co-workers.

What I really felt we needed this time around, even more than DSPBPSACT was
DSPWHORDUS = Display Who is responsible for a specific Order supposedly being
in Use.

The reason for this notion is that we have some very knowlegeable users but
not smart enough to understand all which jobs legitimately update customer
orders & a lot of users with only the vaguest comprehension of what connects
to what so that when a message goes to *ALL users asking who is updating what
customer orders right now, some of the people updating customer orders ignore
the message because they do not think this applies to them, and also some
people in middle of some customer order & been called away from their work
station on other important business, so they oblivious to latest crisis.

The data in ECH only says yes/no in restricted use, not what or who is
actually connected to them.
The data in OS/400 LCK commands list all the people in the ORD applications,
but not which orders they are updating.
I suspect that if I was to do a join of all the work station members of all
the programs that update ORD files & access that data in read only format, I
might be able to get a picture listing who all is messing with which orders
right now, and put it in order number sequence so we could see which "in use"
flags are valid & which are bogus, without being a disruptive influence on
the people doing valid order update work.
Does that sound practical?

12. What combinations of fields contain identification of order lines that
are in some combination of picking shipping invoicing DRP?

I know about the ECH ECL order status code ... what I do not know is how that
interacts with wherever the DRP invoicing state information is stored.

We have managed to get a DRP order into invoicing state without it being
shipped & I suspect it is part of the dual picking idiocy.

13. Have I overlooked any other nuance implied by the above tales?  This is
one scenario where I really could have used the DSlick BPCS Reference Manual.

Al Macintyre  ©¿©
MIS Manager Programmer & Computer Janitor of BPCS 405 CD Rel-02 running on
AS/400 V4R3 http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of Indiana--->Quality
manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical sub-assemblies
+---