  • Subject: Re: Order Entry System Parameter eBPCS 6.1.01
  • From: "Genyphyr Novak" <novakg@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 16:13:54 -0500

Hello,

In short, in release 6.1.00 these are basically meaningless options, because
COM was replaced with the Order Entry thin client - these settings were
left-over in the product from COM, which was originally included in the
'pre-release' of 6.1.00, and was taken out and replaced by thin client Order
Entry at the GA release of 6.1.00. The options were also left in the 6.1.01
release, as the removal of these panels was not deemed as urgent as was the
inclusion of various other BMRs into the release.

The following BMRs are entered to document this, and what follows in quotes
includes an explanation from the lead Supply Chain Analyst at SSA regarding
these parameters:

" Genyphyr,

Indeed, Parallel processing is not supported (and in fact, serves no
purpose) in V6.1 ORD700.

'G' BMR 50925 was completed to state this for the various ORD700 parallel
options among the user preferences.

'E' BMR 51187 has been created to
do away with the obsolete ORD820D-06 panel.  All of its options are
meaningless without COM
implement "parallel processing" in a different manner (for example, by
letting it govern how intensive calculations such as
weight/volume/pallets/containers are performed)
modify the ORD700D1 user preferences with options to match how the above is
implemented

The concept will likely live on in a future version, but not as it was
implemented in COM.  There, it separates jobs or portions of jobs which can
run on the PC from those which can run on the host.  This is not possible in
a green screen environment, or even in a thin client environment running
over green screen, as there is no intelligence or separate logic capability
in the PC application.

In the meantime, it would probably be nice if the help text for all the
ORD820D-06 fields said "not implemented" or "not supported" or something
along those lines.  ORD820D-06 itself will not go away until the substitute
logic described above is implemented.

======
From the V6.1 conceptual design for ORD700 user preferences:

Post Mode  (1,0):
EUP.UPBATP.  This field allows the user to control how posting of orders
will occur.  Select 1=Batch for batch posting or 0=Interactive for
interactive posting.
Note: 2=Parallel is not supported in ORD700 Order Entry.  This option uses
settings specified in ORD820D-06 Order Entry System Parameters and applies
to COM Order Entry only.
The default value on initial creation of user preferences is 1 (batch).
Thereafter, the user preference is retained for each user and should be
displayed as such.
Error message “UME4327 Valid values are 0, 1 and 2” is presented if an
invalid option is entered.
Validation Mode  (1,0):
EUP.UPVALP.  This field allows the user to control how line validation will
occur.  Select 0=Interactive.
Parallel validation was originally developed to speed the COM validation
process and does not apply to ORD700 Order Entry.
Error message “UME0153 Valid values are 0 or 2” is presented if an invalid
value is entered.
The default value on initial creation of user preferences is 0
(interactive).  Thereafter, the user preference is retained for each user
and should be displayed as such.
=====

For V6.0.04 COM, parallel posting is discouraged.  Parallel validation ought
to work.

For V6.0.04 green screen, parallel processing options do not apply and have
never been supported.  The parallel validation option involves whether you
wish to validate on OK or when the cursor is moved to a different line in
the grid box -- neither of which exists in ORD700.  The V6.0.04 ORD700 user
preferences do not contain the validation options.

The parallel post feature appears as one of the available options but is in
error and is not supported for ORD700.  Parallel posting was designed to use
the ORD820 Parallel parameters (see the panel) -- and these "number of
active jobs" and similar features could only possibly work when a PC-based
application such as fat COM runs a separate job -- something which does not
apply to a green screen session.

=====

We would not accept a BMR for parallel options against ORD700.  There is
already an enhancement BMR to add the concept of some sort of background or
"as needed" calculation feature to speed performance. "

 - Genyphyr Novak
SSA