  • Subject: Re: How to transfer from one bpcs system to another the financial module?
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 13:25:51 EDT

hqin

You are asking a question that goes outside the scope of this forum.

I think you should be on the MIDRANGE-L forum asking how to arrange to have
two AS/400 talk to each other in such a way that the software applications
are not aware that there is two AS/400, but think it is all one machine, so
that in BPCS you do not have to do anything special.  I am on MIDRANGE-L &
have seen posts there where companies have more than two AS/400 & users on
one talking to data on other, as easily as we use the internet, except they
are posting questions about performance.

At Central Industries we have 3 factories ... 4 facilities because one
factory is doing 2 totally different kinds of operations & we gave each one a
facility.  We had the choice of one AS/400 at each site, with
inter-communications, so that data relevant to facility EV resided at EV, and
data relevant to facility GW resides at GW, etc. and all employees of all
facilities would be able to access all data, which sounds like what you think
you want.  Instead we went to one AS/400 for the whole enterprise, for
reasons of economy & performance.

It costs less to have one super fast high performance AS/400 at corporate HQ,
with folks 600 miles away connected by state-of-art telecommunication phone
lines, 24 hours a day, and only one copy of BPCS software, with less
modification work, although the user license fee will be higher, than to have
one mediocre AS/400 at each facility, with multiple copies of BPCS software,
both to be modified, and the people 600 miles away get better BPCS
performance over high speed communications line to high performance AS/400
than they get from mediocre AS/400 actually where they are.

Consider also the cost of staffing tech support ... when you have unconnected
AS/400, there has to be technical staff at each site.  When there is one
AS/400 & all offices interconnected to it, you have technical staff where the
AS/400 is physically located but 100% of the enterprise gets their services.

You can have different rules for each facility, up to a point, but this does
impose a level of corporate HQ financial control over all remote facilities,
which may not be desired in your enterprise.  One of the big advantages of
this for us was a reduction in support staff load outside of MIS.  There are
people who buy raw materials for the enterprise, do the engineering work for
what we make, the accounting department, and so forth.  When you have
distributed host computers, then each site needs duplication of that kind of
personnel.  When you are all on one network, a person at one office can do
this work for all offices.

Aside from the placement of personnel so that each office has its complement
of job functions, there is the duplication of data entry because both
computer systems will need data maintaintained that is also in the other one,
which increases the overhead of people to do it.  There was a time that
people were a dime a dozen & the computer technology cost a fortune, but the
world has changed.  Now one of the more expensive aspects of corporate
technology is delivering education to the people so they can use the cheap
technology productively.

Now we have more user work stations, than the IBM Remote Controller will
support at one site, and when we were on leased phone lines, the cost from ma
bell to hook up extra phone connection 2 inches away from existing one was
increase phone bill in perpetuity $1,000.00 per month American $.  We went
with a technique in which ma bell thought the line was point to point (keep
phone bill low), while AS/400 thought the line was multi-point (one time
expense for some more equipment).

There were 2 choices for doing this

IBM Tailing Modem
Non-IBM Controller Clusters from IO or Perle - we went with latter

An IBM Tailing Modem has like 4 cables coming out so that 4 IBM Remote
Controllers can hang on one Modem

The Non-IBM Controller Clusters use one modem with cable to a box that can
contain up to 8 simulations of a remote controller - you can start with a few
& inexpensively add cards to increase capacity.

We recently switched our telecommunications from leased lines to frame relay.
Frame relay gave the enterprise better performance at astronomically lower
prices.
We used to have separate leased lines for AS/400, PC network, voice
connections between our offices.  Now all of that goes over the same frame
relay & the speed is dramatically enhanced for everyone & security is
excellent because it is like an intranet over part of the phone company
system.  Some of the folks on the PC network can sign onto the AS/400 & it
does not matter if they are in the same building as the AS/400 or 600 miles
away.  Performance is great.

The financial picture & the performance picture for deciding how to proceed
rests on 5 cost structures, and the availability of the right kind of tech
support to set this up, which may not be the same in all countries ... IBM
Hardware ... BPCS Pricing ... Communications Industry options ... Technical
staff that you need in-house .... Enterprise staff needed for support roles
that need to be served in all locations of the enterprise, outside of MIS ...
you could have a big expense for one side of the equation that is off-set by
savings on other structures listed

Again, like I said at the outset, you need to be taking this discussion to
MIDRANGE-L whose participants are far more proficient at this type of
know-how than I, but you could also try the AS/400 on-line forums.  Feel free
to forward my BS to other technical gurus & ask for a second opinion on how
much of my total story makes sense.

>  From:    Qin_Huang@schindler.com (Qin Huang)
>
>  We have financial center BJ and SW, both in BPCS( same version ) but in
>        different AS/400, and there is no connection between this two AS/400.
>
>  Now we would like the BJ finance module also run in the AS/400 of SW, with
> all the date used to be run in BJ location, how to make it?
>
>  Any kind advice will be very much appreciated.

Al Macintyre  ©¿©
http://www.cen-elec.com MIS Manager Programmer & Computer Janitor
+---