  • Subject: Re: DRP Module in 4.05 CD
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 13:05:03 EDT

You may wish to re-think why you are using a single facility.
There are some things that make sense at the facility level / warehouse level
/ etc.
We use a tiny tiny portion of DRP.  We are on 4.05 CD.

Mike is correct that multiple facilities has an impact on engineering &
costing ... we do ours by facility because the inter-facility parts play
different roles in different facilities & we want to keep some stuff
separated, but you could check the documentation & consider the merits of
going global.

To give you an example of the added layer of complications going with
facilities, we currently have contracts with vendors with price breaks
because the raw materials are ultimately going into a particular customer,
but we have different price breaks due to different customers, for the same
raw material items & these are significant, so we need to go through our BOM
to identify links between lowest level children & highest sugar daddy
parents, but we have facility specific engineering.  I am working on a
solution.  We also have some problems with costs of inter-facility items not
carrying over correctly.

Another wrinkle is that MRP expects that all production in a facility will be
in a particular warehouse, but we are doing production in more than one
warehouse ... there is general WIP & final assembly for shipping & QC repairs
after inspection, so we have a modification that changes the default MRP
warehouse for new items being planned, so they end up in the right place.

> From: Bloom@nexgensoftware.com

>  Sri:
>
>  DRP, like MRP runs by facility. In order to use it as you state, you will
>  need to make each warehouse a separate facility.  Be aware, however, that
>  the change might have other impacts, such as bills, routings and costs.
>
>  Mike Bloom
>  Manager, Help Desk Services
>  Nexgen Software Technologies, Inc.

One factory has a lot of molding machines that make enough plastic blocks for
the entire enterprise.  Another factory is really good at making single leads
that are assembled at other factories into more complex wiring harnesses.  We
have our own wire extruding machines, at a facility that does not much else.

What you call warehouses, we call facilities, I think.
A facility is a building in a city which manufactures stuff ... some for
external customers & some for our other facilities, in which the inventory
needs separate MRP planning because there is not instantaneous supply across
faciliites.
Each facility has warehouses ... raw materials, work in process, QC rejects,
etc. organized by type of function of use of the materials.
Each warehouse has locations ... bins in the stock room, organized for
convenience ... we have gone from each department of production having a
location to the entire factory floor being treated as one location, so we do
not have to do transactions to move WIP from one department to the next.  Of
course there is a down side to that.

Customer orders type-1 are entered for materials to leave a facility's
shipping warehouse.
MRP helps us plan the production & aquisition of raw materials, but some
requirements are inter-facility ... so we create a customer order type-9 for
the plastic blocks, extruded wire, leads, or whatever from the relevant other
facility in which the customer is our own inter-facility.
MRP helps us plan the production & etc. of whatever is needed to fulfill this
need.
Shipments go out to inter-facility exactly the same as to end customers, the
only difference is on the accounting side we are not billing ourselves.
When the inter-facility receipts arrive, they should come in as re-supply
orders instead of as purchase orders.
DRP runs the show, but we don't have to key anything to DRP.

Our accountants love facilities, although some of this data is doable by
warehouse ... we are able to show profit / loss & actual vs. standard by item
by customer by facility, lots of detailed break-down of where the cost
problems are by facility, performance to standards by facility, past due
(late shipments) percentage by facility, quality failure rate parts per
million by facilility ... I wish we had some external industry standards by
ERP to compare to, in addition to our own facilities & history.

>  From:    srisai-paluri@abunayyangroup.com (Sri Sai Paluri)
>
>  Hello,
>
>  I was asked to implement DRP module by our management.
>
>  We have Multi warehouses and single facility environment. We want to use
DRP
>  module to track and meet our other warehouse's  requirements.
>
>  Is it possible do this with DRP ?
>
>  System is allowing us to run these following programs by facility
>
>  Distribution relation ship (DRP 100) by facility
>  DRP Generation (DRP 500)
>
>  But we want to run by Warehouse as we want DRP  module to track
> and meet our other warehouse's  requirements.
>
>  We would be thank if anyone can help us in this matter.
>
>  SRI SAI
>
>  P.SRI SAI
>  System Analyst & BPCS Consultant
>  Abunayyan Group