Khalid ... We are currently in the process of moving all our users from
Query/400 to a report writer tool (in our case, Showcase Query) for this very
security reason.  We couldn't find any other way to do it easily on the 400.

Query is a great tool for users for quick and dirty info ... unfortunately,
users tend to get way carried away, and try and run our business using queries.
As a programmer, who spends a great deal of time on testing and change
management, it amazes me that our company (and our auditors!) thinks it's
acceptable to have untrained users generate information that they use to make
major business decisions ... analyze cost of sales, book journal entries,
accumulate production data, etc. ... with no testing, no control of who can
change the query, etc.  The big catch is that you can write a query to make
anything look good/right  (i.e., Yields not good?  Only count production
transactions and not quantities rejected when I write my query!)

Sorry ... you can tell this is my "soapbox" issue!

"kha lid" <logic_km@hotmail.com> on 02/24/2000 10:32:59 PM

Please respond to BPCS-L@midrange.com