  • Subject: Re: BPCS 6.1mm performance and the AS/400 - more ord performance
  • From: DAsmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 00:50:28 EST

Peter,

In a message dated 2/15/00 4:31:04 PM Eastern Standard Time,
pgreenfi@ssax.com writes:

<<snip>>
> SSA recommends that you investigate performance problems as they occur by
> using
>  DBMON.  This will assist you in defining which Logicals are required for
your
>  implementation.  Creating Logicals suggested by other installations may
not
>  work for you, and in some cases can actually impede performance.
<<snip>>

Amen, and amen.  Run STRDBMON (don't forget to run the client side
interactive if the program you're analyzing offers the option) in *DETAIL
mode.  Query the DBMON outfile looking for "Access path suggested" = "Y" and
create the suggested access paths against the indicated files.  I just
brought access time for 100+ line orders at a 6.1.00 full client installation
down from 37 minutes to 37 _SECONDS_ using this technique.  PRTSQLINF is only
as good as the last set of ODP's the program created.  If that last set of
data was against an order with which you're not having problems, then they
won't show up.  Be aware that this is an ongoing process and that orders with
different criteria will require different solutions (e.g., the aforementioned
client does not currently run "promo's and deals", but PRTSQLINF indicates
that this may be a problem in the future).

SQL performance tuning, as Peter suggested, must be done on a "per site"
basis due to the innate "configurability" of BPCS.  Some logicals, though,
should be _SHIPPING_ with the product at this late date...

Regards!

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

"A country is not judged by its' ability to make war, but it's ability to
maintain peace." -- Gene Roddenberry
+---