We are a little behind in applying Y2K bug fixes to our BPCS 405 CD mixed
mode... the old corporate strategy was that requested BMRs & modifications
would go into test environment, which we use infrequently such as for
training new people, then at convenience of department involved they test the
BMR then tell me either that it works so it needs to go in the live
environment or they go cry on SSA help line regarding what wrong now.  When
Y2K not in the picture, it does not matter that I have BMRs & our internal
mods installed in test environment 6 months ago & users not yet got around to
testing, while other departments religiously test their stuff within a few
weeks of it getting there.

After a BMR makes it into live environment & no gripes about it for 6 months,
we move them to a consolidated BMR library, so that the library list can be
kept somewhat short of filling up.

Last month several people complained to me about garbage dates in MRP & I
told them that when ALMOST NO ONE in the company has time to test fixes then
EVERY ONE in the company has to figure out contingency planning because we
have NO IDEA what might go wrong & you are part of the ones.  In other words
this aint going to be fixed under current corporate strategies.  My remarks
led to the corporate strategy being changed.

I am now under orders to install BMRs etc. in the live environment with no
one doing any testing, but do it in such a way that if we have a problem we
cannot work around, I can back out the software involved in that BMR from
whatever library list.  So we now have bunches of fixes in the live
environment that never made it into the test environment, and will not until
I get caught up with my BMR backlog.

Each environment has 2 libraries of unique files (BASE & USF) & a low number
of software libraries that has to be unique because of data structures &
stuff like BPCS menu & library list, but the vast majority of software
libraries are shared by both environments - same programs, BMRs,
modifications, etc. the only difference is that some may have made it into
one environment library list but not yet the other.

A small handful of SSA fixes come with files - LF PF Data Structures & in the
early days before I went to IBM school, and when we had consultants whose IBM
schooling was ahead of mine but not far enough, there were some upgrades
installed according to SSA instructions without the installer sensitive to
the nuances of having the identical data files in more than one environment.

I need a better strategy for dealing with this than my usual stumbling around
& reacting a bit differently every time it happens.  Currently our problem
files include:

CICL06 LF in REL-2 and some earlier BMR that made it into consolidated library
EVFEVENT is all over the place
HHT in PTF-1 - we not use ASSET
HHTBK in PTF-1 - we not use ASSET
HXX in PTF-1 - we not use ASSET
HXXBK in PTF-1 - we not use ASSET
INQDTA01 & 02 PF & DTAARA in REL-2 and both live & test environments
ITHL40 in REL-2 only = INV900 of REL-2 needs this
KORL03 in REL-2 and both environments - we use MRP
NEH01 in REL-2 and both environments - we not on CIMPath yet
ZML04 in REL-2 and earlier BMR38297

Question of clarification - when SSA updates include a file we ALREADY have,
does that mean we are Ok we must have got it on a BMR now included in SSA
cumulative release, or does SSA change the files?

My thinking is - when it is a new file that we did not have before & there is
only the one of them - compile into live & test environments separately - one
copy of the object in each one for the data in that environment, keeping it
separate, and make sure it is deleted from the shared software fix libraries.

If there is more than one - like REL-2 & earlier BMR, or in our environments
& also in an SSA fix - find the source code for PDM-54 comparison & if it is
identical, then remove the file from the SSA fix, verifying of course that
the earlier source was compiled into where it should have gone.

If & when it is not the same, put the older story in the BASE file library
which is near the bottom of the library list & put the newer story in the USF
file library which is near the beginning of the library list & remove all
versions from the shared software libraries.  Then if some problem develops &
I am told to back out the latest fix, I know it is in the USF library.

Since there is obviously some corruption going on with our files, one might
ask "How come your users did not notice this Al?"  Oh but they did notice
SOMETHING, but noticing stuff & knowing what is causing it are two different
animals.

Al Macintyre
+---