  • Subject: Re: V43 and BPCS Performance
  • From: gmihajlo@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 14:50:23 -0500

Without the intention of questioning the usefulness of various PTFs
mentioned previously, I just thought some things should be mentioned with
regards to applying various SQL/performance PTFs:

Instead of ordering any individual SQL/performance related PTFs, it is
highly recommended, by both IBM and SSA, that entire SQL pack (SF99103) is
ordered, in order to avoid any problems caused by missing pre-requisite
and/or co-requisite PTFs. When you order PTF SF99103, you ensure that you
have ALL pre-reqs and co-reqs required, but also that you always get LATEST
version of SQL fixes, i.e. any superseding PTFs for PTFs you were told
would fix your problem.

Once you have installed them, you should look in IBM info APAR II11801 for
any PTFs listed in it for your OS/400 release and check whether they were
applied on your system as a part of SQL pack SF99103. If they were not, you
should order only those PTFs individually.

Experimenting with only some SQL PTFs (even though you have all of their
pre-reqs and co-reqs applied correctly), has shown to be quite risky in
many cases, primarily because of the complexity of the query optimizer
decision-making logic.

Regards,
Goran

---------------------- Forwarded by Goran Mihajlovic/SSA/US on 10/28/99