From:   Macwheel99@aol.com (Al Macintyre)

I've done lots of reports & modifications with production data from an
engineering perspective ... include this data & that perspective, but I am
not proficient with what General Ledger might need, so what are we looking
for?

Value of Current Shop Orders, knowing that value will update master files
when the orders are purged, so we want to see a running total of WIP, like
our sales manager gets to see a dollarized version of BBL that he can query
intermittently during the day & see the rising dollar value of our shipments
going out the door.  If you want a reference value of this as of month end,
in shop orders not yet purged, then Paul is on a good track.

But shop orders might be purged regularly - we do ours weekly ... even though
master files have been updated, you might want to see the value of WIP
changes since the last EOM for which some of the shop orders no longer exist.
 Check out FLT to get at this picture ... detailed later in my e-mail.

Perhaps you want to know $ tied up in WIP not yet to a routing operation
conclusion & if you can trust your labor reporting & cycle counting then it
is a combination of the two that you might want to see.

Look at the main screen of INV300 where it shows totals of materials issued
or consumed in the current month.  This data comes from

IIIM Item Master
IWI by Warehouse
ILI or Location

You might want to run some Query of the month-to-date totals by warehouse,
facility, item class, or other criteria right before doing the EOM steps that
transfers that to Year totals & clears the month totals.  This shows the
actual consumption of the material, not any variance vs. standards.  Also if
some sub-assembly was worked on one month then priorities idle if for a
month, you don't see that WIP value here.

CST270 is a humongous program, whose data originates with production
reporting on shop orders still in existance, excluding details on any orders
purged earlier in the month ... lots of run options are available.  One thing
I do not like about this report is if shop order was for 5,000, and 1,000
manufactured so far, it says variance is 4,000.  My notion of variance is if
standard says that 1,000 should have taken 2 days & we really took 3 days,
then the variance is the cost of that extra day.  Also factor in scrap &
repairs.

FLT labor history file however contains data on shop orders that have been
purged but were worked on this month, and it is tailor made for a variety of
query/400 reports.

Master = what file to access vs. this field to identify significance
especially if you are doing summary total breaks on this field or obtaining
additional data related to that control number

Master - Field name of interest in FLT
CEM TEMP Employee Clock #
IIM TPROD Item #
IIC TCLAS Item Class
FSO TORD Shop Order # - warning - order might not still exist
FRT TOPNO Operation # - access FRT routings to get standard rate
LWK TWRKC Work Center

When selecting range of dates, remember that TTDRE is in format YYYYMMDD
Facility is not in the file, but depending on your number system, you may be
able to determine it from TFWHS Warehouse or the work center

useful pairs of fields
THRS = Hours they worked to make this
TSHRS = Hours standard says is how long to make the quantity they reported
doing
TPCS = Quantity that was made
TSPCS = Quantity standard says is how many to make in the time actually worked

Suppose you get the difference between actual quantity & standard quantity &
want to know the cost of that, or cost of scrap which is either TSCP or TFQSR
(I am not sure of the distinction) - you can do that in Query, which is
faster to create than RPG, but once we perfect seeing what we want, perhaps
we should make an RPG version, which uses the AS/400 more efficiently.

Match FLT records with CMF Cost Master File with FLT.TPROD EQ CMF.CFPROD

cftlvl + cfptvl = average item unit cost
x quantity = total cost for that quantity field - cost, variance, WIP,
whatever you interested in

select by date range & whatever gives you facility ... we do a subscript off
the first few digits of work center, or a range of warehouses
CFCSET=2 CFCBKT GE 1 LE 5 NE 2 or you could use a LIST

if there is any divide by in the math, like divide by quantity worked (made
plus scrap) to get a percentage, then exclude input in which the divide by is
zero

If you selected FLT records that either matched current FSO shop order items
in production or in the date range since last EOM, you'd get data on all
production activity involving the current month.  With Query that might
require 2 reports, or a string of steps.

There are a bunch of fields in FLT that I do not pretend to understand.

Al Macintyre
BPCS 405 CD

Subj:    Re: Costing
From:   holstein13@hotmail.com (Paul Holstein)

Take the FSO (Shop Order Header) for Qty Produced. Then use FMA file
(Material Detail) and compare to the MBM file (Bill of Material) That will
give you the material usage variance.

Use the FOD (Operations Details) and compare to the routing FRT (Routings)
to get labor and overhead variance.  Again, use the FSO file for your Qty
produced.  You may need to divide by batch size from capacity planning file
if you are using batch sizes.

If you need any help, my company has already written reports that
recalculate the CST270 and break it down into Labor, Material, and OH
variances by Item Class.

Paul Holstein
SSA Southeast

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Leo Medriano" <lmedriano@dls.net>

We've been live on BPCS now since April we are trying to figure out how to
value our open Shop Orders so that we can reclass out manufacturing
variances from WIP general ledger?  Until now we do not have any means to
value either.  CST270 don't seem to give us what we wanted nor can we rely
100% on the information on that report.  Need help in ways to value our open
shop orders and what our manufacturing variances are.
+---