  • Subject: Uninterupted Shop Floor Data Collection
  • From: "James L. Raper" <jraper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 16:28:41 -0400

Shop floor data collection done in real time with seven day a week 24 hour a
day shop floor availability is the goal of every transaction based system.

Most AS/400's running BPCS are down daily for system back ups, and day end
processes to resync inventory, clean up allocations or for some reason that is
routine enough to be done daily or weekly like MPS/MRP.  Most systems like BPCS
are down monthly for period rolls in addition to daily processing.  While the
AS/400 is active 24/7 it isn't available for transaction processing.  A
manufacturer requiring high availability transaction processing must either
have a high availability solution for their entire AS/400 like MIMIX, or be
able to process and validate transactions off line.

DistinctRF by Distinct Solutions uses the AS/400 and an NT server to maintain
uninterrupted transaction processing.  With BPCS, CIM in older versions and
SMG's in 6.04+, transactions are collected and validated in real time and
processed real time when the AS/400 is available.  Or the transactions are
stored when the AS/400 is not available and processed when the AS/400 becomes
available.  The data validation occurs on the NT box using tables created using
FTP from the AS/400.  Critical data elements from files like ILI, ILM, ILN,
IWM, etc. are replicated continuously with net change data with little load on
the AS/400.  Transaction sets (menus)  are loaded on the RF scanners using
DistinctRF.  These menus are user created and maintained, and eliminate the
load on the AS/400 that terminal emulation would create.  When the AS/400 is
not available, the user with an RF scanner is still able to process
transactions uninterrupted unlike terminal emulation.

Unlimited facilities can be tied to the NT server using 14.4 telephone lines
supporting hundreds of RF devices.  The ability to administer the entire RF
network centrally is a benefit to most AS/400 support groups.  The ability to
load the RF device over the RF network with its transaction set is a benefit
for the user eliminating carting it back to the computer room for
reprogramming.

DistinctRF is a functional and economic answer to high availability transaction
processing and RF network administration.  If you have some interest or
questions about DistinctRF or Distinct Solutions, my contact information is
below.

Jim Raper
Distinct Solutions
804-914-3212