  • Subject: Re: Y2K tools for BPCS
  • From: MMis2000@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 09:18:57 EDT

I am not  a particular fan of INTO2000 but if  it works  for you  fine.  I've
 found many other paths to  solid  solutions.

In a message dated 9/22/99 5:17:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Zoranp@idt.net

<< Subj:     Re: Y2K tools for BPCS 5.1
 Date:  9/22/99 5:17:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time
 From:  Zoranp@idt.net (Zoran Pirjevec)
 Sender:    owner-bpcs-l@midrange.com
 To:    BPCS-L@midrange.com

 Hi,

 Thank you for your comments.

 Clearly you did not read mine closely enough, to repeat "Horror stories
abound and I
 have heard some about Nexgen as well but not as bad as the ones about
INTO2000."

 I am not making any suggestions, merely repeating what I have heard from
reliable
 sources. Why do you say they are false? One in particular from South East
Asia where
 it was reported that the above mentioned tools were in competition. One side
 discounted his price for 4 copies of the software down to $20,000 (from
$80,000 per
 copy) and still lost the sale. Doesn't seem to add up, does it?

 Mind you, I have heard positive stories as well, just like you have I imagine
 (please correct me if you haven't) , but I omitted making any reference to
them.

 Incidentally, I have had a conversation with Ardi Batmanghelidj to our mutual
 satisfaction and did not foist it upon the rest of the uninterested parties
as
 debating it here would do. Call me directly if you so wish, I would be
pleased to
 speak with you.

 Your objective no doubt is to win Mr. Bourdin's ear, whether by a
gentleman's debate
 or knock down drag out verbal battle.

 Its fair to say that each of our respective solutions  do the job. What job?
Helping
 a BPCS user navigate through 1/1/2000 and beyond.

 As to which is the "better" choice, the decision maker has to consider (at
least)
 Milt's and Manus' checklists, how standard his system is, his available
resources,
 budget and time constraints and over what period of time the chosen solution
needs
 to stay in operation - and of course your particular checklist.

 If the user can get past the glib rhetoric of 'cheap', 'quick and dirty' and
 'fooling the computer' and such like nonsensical, totally subjective,
righteous
 postulations he most often comes to the conclusion that the 28 year offset
method
 (to use a neutral phrase) will do - unless he is convinced to attempt to buy
a more
 comfortable peace of mind with the use of another method. It costs more and
he feels
 better. Why do we have 779 different models of car on our roads?

 Incidentally, what irresponsible outbursts......?

 mitchell@nexgensoftware.com wrote:

 > Zoran:
 >
 > I know that this discussion group has had it with the Y2K mudslinging.
 >
 > And you have crossed a very serious line.  To spuriously suggest that
there are
 > horror stories about any vendor, without any context to be able defend your
 > claims is irresponsible and damaging.  Not only are your comments false
but they
 > are probably violate list guidelines.
 >
 > I, like Mr. Batmanghelidj, was hoping for a technical discussion of the
merits
 > of the opposing approaches.
 >
 > Let us either have a productive discussion of the sort that can help
people like
 > Mr. Bourdin make an informed decision or drop it alltogether.
 >
 > I hope that the group demands a silencing of such irresponsible outbursts.
 >
 > +---
 > | This is the BPCS Users Mailing List!
 > | To submit a new message, send your mail to BPCS-L@midrange.com.
 > +--- >>