  • Subject: Re: Performance solutions (AS/400 system vs server)
  • From: mbreit@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 16:16:58 -0500

>>If in fact the AS/400 is source of your performance bottleneck,
>>it may be as much a workload mix issue as it is a horsepower
>>issue.  The 9406/640 is primarily an interactive CPU and suffers
>>under heavy batch processing.  The new 7XX models and the older
>>E-Custom Servers are tuned to give the BPCS user an adjustable
>>CPW mix between Batch and Interactive.  This has resulted
>>in superior performance than what users have experienced with
>>the "Classic" AS/400 like your 640.

The AS/400 6xx system models do not distinguish between interactive and
batch/client server workloads -- it is the total workload in any mix that
impacts performance.  So I would not classify an AS/400 6xx system as
"primarily" an interactive CPU which suffers under heavy batch.  The AS/400
server models, including the Sxx and new 7xx models, do distinguish between
interactive and batch/client server workloads.  You could classify the server
models as "primarily" batch/client server CPUs since they have a much greater
capacity for those workloads.

It is true that the workload mix (interactive vs batch or client/server) makes a
big difference in determining which AS/400e model is appropriate for a given
workload including BPCS.  You can get much larger machines in terms of workload
capability for batch/client server work for the same or less $$ with the AS/400e
7xx server models.  The 7xx machines are also more flexible in terms of allowing
a user to tailor the amount of interactive capability they need versus the Sxx
models or custom mixed-mode Sxx models.

I agree that the hardware partners for BPCS can work with you to determine which
machine and which workload mix best fits your needs.  Make sure the BPCS ver6
workload has been sized using the current BPCS sizing questionnaire and process.
If the machine is suffering from very poor performance it may also be problems
with tuning, lack of sufficient memory, lack of enough DASD arms, or lack of
necessary database indexes.

Mike Breitbach  -  Software Engineer
IBM Rochester,  AS/400 ERP Development
Internet: mbreit@us.ibm.com