  • Subject: Re: Financial reporting in BPCS
  • From: Paul Holstein <holstein13@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 17:51:06 PDT

Ed,

The standard report writer that comes with BPCS is called UserVision.  SSA
bundles certain trial balances and journal entry reports with the UserVision
Player for anyone to use.  Most of my clients have found that these reports
were not exactly what they wanted and have either re-written them using
UserVision or another report writer.

If you only want to report on ending balances, then the Financial Report
Writer (FRW) that also comes with BPCS is a pretty easy and adequate
solution.  It provides a row and column format for defining financial
reports and is well integrated with BPCS.  These reports can be output to
either EXCEL or Lotus for further refinement.

The following answers apply to FRW:

-How is consolidated reporting accomplished?
This is accomplished by consolidating your books first then reporting on the
consolidated book.

-Is it easy to produce departmental statements?
Yes, Departmental statements can be set up using a neat hierarchy.

-Are the statements user defined?
Yes, it is set up using an "Excel-like" row and column definition.

-Are they boardroom quality?
No, however, you can export them to Excel or Lotus and have a separate
worksheet format them so that they become boardroom quality.

-Can income statements showing companies across a page be easily produced?
Yes, During Column Setup, you can easily specify companies by either
selecting the book or segment.

-How are the statements produced (individually or in groups)?
They are produced either individually or in groups and you can even use the
job scheduler.

-Are the column macros pre-defined or user defined?
I'm not sure what you mean by "column macro", please provide more details
here.

The most popular 3rd party report writer I have seen recently is MS Access.
However, other good choices are Crystal Reports and Business Objects.

Are you live on BPCS or are you considering going to BPCS?

Can anyone share information on the financial reporting capabilities of the
AS/400
version of BPCS general ledger?  Specifically:

How is consolidated reporting accomplished?
Is it easy to produce departmental statements?
Are the statements user defined?
Are they boardroom quality?