  • Subject: RE: BPCS Accounts Problems
  • From: Paul Holstein <holstein13@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 07:03:56 PDT

I'd like to add one other problem to George's list of potential problems and
comment on the currency question.

First of all when a PO Invoice is voided, the PO costing line does not get
uncosted.  Some of my clients manually put it back by doing a "C"
Transaction but others do not and when they re-enter the invoice, they
charge an expense account.

As to the currency question, this is a known problem and I think Chicago has
an E-BMR on it.  The quickest way I have seen anyony fix it is to first copy
the erroneous entry to a spreadsheet and fix the problem on the spreadsheet,
then copy it back to BPCS.  It's slow but it's faster than trying to fix it
on the entry itself.  Also, with the automatic currency exchange when you
change the transaction, it changes the book value automatically and vice
versa.  The spreadsheet solution eliminate this problem.

Paul Holstein
SSA Southeast

Sweet.

One thing that's important to focus on is not just fixing the balance, but
identifying the source of the problems. Here are some common ones. I bet
there are lots more.

Standard cost changes between time of receipt and AP Voucher entry
Receiving at wrong unit measure. (Throws inventory counts off also)
Receiving commodity as inventory item or inventory as commodity. This throws
it off if you are accruing inventory at time of receipt but bypassing
journal on MRO receipts).
Applying AP line against wrong PO or PO line.
Applying inventory receipt against wrong PO or PO line.

It's good to get the GL back in balance, but it's better to expose the
problems, fix them, then monitor the improvement. Staying on top of
reconciling AP accrued liabilities can be a good way to expose incorrect
inventory balances before they bite the shop floor. Sorry for the preachy
tone. I'm turning into an APICS evangelist.

Geo.

George Sagen
BPCS Application Consultant
gsagen@primesourcetech.com <mailto:gsagen@primesourcetech.com>