  • Subject: RE: Shop base Manufacturing
  • From: "George Sagen" <gsagen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 09:56:28 -0700

With BPCS you will not get a flow where the Sales Order, Shop Order, Packing
List and Invoice all have the same number. You will get separate documents
that are relationally linked to the previous documents.

Each line on the sales order can have it's own shop order #. The shop order
can reference the sales order number but it will have its own distinct shop
order number. I believe there is a way to trigger automatic creation of a
shop order at the time of order entry. This gives power to the order entry
clerks that in many environments would be reserved for production planners.
Because BPCS is an MRP system at the core and not a pure job shop system, it
allows demand from multiple sales orders for the same part in the same time
bucket to be aggregated into one shop order. In a repetitive manufacturing
environment this dramatically simplifies shop floor scheduling, tracking,
and reporting. Aggregating is not required however, so you can break the
demand for separate sales orders into separate shop orders. There is no
direct drill down from a sales order into a shop order from the sales order
inquiry screens.

As sales orders ship, a packing list is generated which has its own distinct
number but references the sales order number. This allows a sales order to
ship in multiple releases without having duplicate packing list numbers. You
can view shipment information from the sales inquiries.

As each shipment is billed an invoice is generated that has its own invoice
number but references the sales order. This allows an order to ship and bill
in multiple releases without having duplicate invoice numbers. Furthermore
BPCS supports aggregating multiple shipments to the same customer into one
invoice in which case individual invoice lines reference sales orders.

I heartily endorse Pierre's observation that you dedicate the resources to
configuring BPCS correctly up front rather than on the back end. This is
common sense to anyone who has been through it a few times and not a "subtle
sales pitch" of consulting services.

George Sagen
BPCS Application Consultant
gsagen@primesourcetech.com <mailto:gsagen@primesourcetech.com>