  • Subject: Re: BPCS S/36 to BPCS/400 conversion can be a nightmare
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 15:47:42 EDT

     {Ata510@aol.com]
> Usually the problem is converting modifications or modified files - that is
>  indeed outside the scope of Helpline.

          [Al Macintyre]
When we converted from BPCS/36 to BPCS 405 CD we decided to throw out all our
modifications & just move the core data.  None of our mods changed file
lengths, they were exclusively adding new fields to the filler areas of BPCS
files.  Thus our modifications should not have been a factor in the SSA
conversion tools giving us fits of frustration.

Our major problems, from a time wasting perspective, included:

SSA sending us tapes that would not load - defective tapes, wrong kind, CISC
without observables so our RISC system could not process the data.  We went
around the loop several times, making sure they understood what was needed on
the tapes to be sent & them sending us wrong tapes again.  This was not a
problem with my know-how.  We had IBMers helping us try to load the tapes &
our consultants got us a technical expert who spent an entire day trying to
load tapes & use their contents, without success.  I showed him the tapes I
had & related the problems, and he verified that it was not a problem with my
know-how, we did in fact have 4 sets of SSA tapes that were no damn good.

However, there were times with BMRs when I gave up trying to load after about
3 retries, and the consultants had a go with them & about 1/2 the time they
agreed that the tapes were bad & 1/2 the time they managed to extract the
data, so any time I had a failure to load the data, there was that
uncertainty whether it was me or the tapes.  Very rarely did BMR tapes
content agree with the BMR documentation of how the data was orgainzed, so
there was a chunk of time with display tape & dump tape trying to figure out
how it was on the tape - SSA used several different methods with no apparent
consistency.

SSA sending us license keys that failed.  Usually we would get a key about a
week before we needed to use it, then discover at a crucial step that it was
no good.  Thankfully when we called SSA on these crises we did not get the
usual Help Line runaround & they got back to us with a new key within a
matter of hours, so a weekend conversion series of steps was not blown.

Software keys are a concept new to AS/400 - we did not have this on BPCS/36 &
in fact we did not have it with IBM on our 400 until V4R3 - so although we
saw reference in the documentation to software keys, and on tapes to the fact
that we might need one, we had no idea what this meant & this was only one of
many things we had no idea what meant.  SSA documentation assumed that
everyone knows what software keys are, and what are prudent procedures.  This
is not a valid assumption for people who are converting from systems that
never needed them.

Thus the first failure needing one -> research that our account was not
financially up-to-date --- we had paid like 90% of it, with the missing 10%
for some add-ons that we discovered during the conversion that we would need
& why had we not paid for them, well accounting swears up & down that they
never got the invoices from SSA.  This was solved with a temporary key (which
did not work) & SSA financial faxing particulars to our accounting dept.

Lesson from this - you need to do SSA financial job for them.  Have you been
billed for everything you got, and what is the status of paying for it?  If
not, seek clarification promptly, so it won't cause a problem when you need
software keys.

Nailing down the correct set of instructions to use - there was great overlap
in sets of instructions covering portions of the same things - so the correct
path was jump back & forth these instructions those others third set then
back to first set.  Different sections of course.  Some chunks of
instructions had been re-written, and replaced in another document, so that
portions of some documents were obsolete, but still contained sections we
needed to use.

Thankfully our consultants had some add-ons to help us navigate the maze of
SSA documentation.

I was new to OS/400, so when I made a typo transcribing long strings of CL,
it was not apparent to me what the heck the command should look like, and
there were typos in the instructions also.

It was quite obvious that we did not have the technical know-how to be
efficient with this, but it was not obvious what know-how was optimal to
learn in what sequence.  I was sent off to various IBM classes to learn stuff
in which after I got to the classes it was obvious to me that I lacked
pre-requisites for a lot of the info to sink in.

I think there needs to be something like the SSA sizing questionnairre which
tests the technical know-how of the would be conversion staff, from which a
road map of education is dictated.

It did take me several tries to figure out how to get the data off of S/36 in
the right format for the 2.0 conversion to accept it.

Our consultants had no patience to figure out security problems - any time
anyone was refused admission to anything, they just made everyone a security
officer.

There's a multitude of stages that the data transitions through - at many
stages there are menu options that need to be taken in which the job might
run in 5 minutes or 5 hours to get to the next human intervention.  When it
got to a stopping point, where we could sign off, take a break, we would
randomly check files to see if they were populated, because we were finding
that some files that were fully populated at one stage were empty at a later
stage & it took a while to figure out at what point that was happening.

Since there were so many menu option intermediate stages it became binary
search - let's check the most suspect files after every 3-5 menu options.  We
found the points & wrote fix programs, but then things we thought were fixed
would happen again, so it was non-obvious if there was an intermittent bug,
or a typo that went unnoticed that was critical.  We had no quality assurance
aid to tell us that the data was Ok at any given point.

Many fields were populated in a way that was legal & proper on BPCS/36 but
invalid on BPCS/400 - we had to identify them all & write small programs to
populate them appropriately.  In some cases we had to substitute warehouse,
item type, etc. values which involved many files, so we had to figure out the
right sequence to fix files.

We abandoned the SSA conversion tool & went with an alternative for several
reasons.  Here are the most critical.

Management also needed some technical training in how you do business with
SSA.  They thought that the Help Line was supposed to help with all our
problems, and balked at paying SSA Professional Services for more - where
does this end, they wondered - if we reach something that SSA Professional
Services cannot do, are we any closer to being live with BPCS/400 or just
more out-of-pocket?

We have 4 divisions in 3 cities.  On BPCS/36 the MRP does not recognize
distant warehouses - it thinks that since Arkansas has plenty of some raw
material, Illinois does not need to order any.  For this reason we had 4
BPCS/36 data bases, which are like 4 BPCS/400 environments - the software &
data totally separate.  For a variety of reasons we wanted to combine our
facilities into one environment.  SSA did not seem to have a conversion tool
to combine multiple data sets into a consolidated arrangement.

Management wanted the company to get thru fiscal end-month on BPCS/36 then do
the conversion over a weekend & be running the company on BPCS/400 the next
Monday - we did in fact do that the weekend of August 1998, but that was not
doable with the SSA conversion stream.

Of course, once we went to an alternative approach, we had gigantic
flexibility that did not exist in the SSA conversion stream, so that we were
able to extract the modifications that we had abandoned, and move that data
into unused BPCS/400 fields, accessible through the external file layouts to
query & much more.

The nature of our job-shop make-to-order business is such that there is a
high turn-over of active parts, so that we constantly have large numbers of
items routing BOM & other files with records coded for deletion, for which we
had written modifications on BPCS/36 to accelerate purges for files with no
vanilla purge support.  Conversion efforts involved using tapes from most
recent fiscal end-month BPCS/36 to figure out how to get past various
sticking points & we were disappointed that SSA conversion took deleted
records all the way to the target.  In some cases, files might be 75% records
that were deleted within the last year.

The SSA sizing questionnairre predicted how much disk space we would need to
run BPCS/400 after conversion.  We were running BPCS/36 on the same machine
while struggling with conversion efforts that might have copies of our files
at Restore/36 point, 2.whatever, intermediate stages, target pilot testing,
and several data bases at various points struggling through - learning stuff
that was applied to others that got to that stage.

The questionnairre had lacked the clarity to make allowance for disk space
needed to do the conversion struggle, so of course we did not have enough
disk space.  We had to off-load chunks of software & files to tape - go thru
some steps, off-load chunks & reload from off-line, go thru some steps, churn
what was on-line again.

Al Macintyre
+---