  • Subject: RE: Workstation Data Areas
  • From: Marc Chartrand <MarcC@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 18:39:33 -0400

We have implemented the following system which is OK for now:
 - Lock all user out of the workstation data area (they can't modify it)
 - Strict security on all spool files
 - All workstation data areas point to a single output queue
(BPCSUSO/BPCSOUTQ)
 - A monitor program that verifies the contents of the associated data queue
and perform different tasks based on the name of the spool file
        .Move the document to a 3rd party - NT based - spool file parser
(this is for invoices, POs, etc. - which are documents we reformat
entirely),
        .Delete some spool files on the spot - QPRINT, NEWI stuff
        .Remove some spool files from users' view by sending them to an
"admin" user (Job log, etc.)

 - We are installing SAVOUTQ to manage what's left so we can archive spool
files as needed (the restore facility is great and SAVOUTQ is free)
 - We have provided all users with a tool called Compleo to manage their
spool files from the PC. This is a client/server tool that allows them to
download the  spool file in a word document, stored the spool file on their
PC and otherwise manage the spool file the way they would with wrksplf. It
is licensed based on the As/400 and allows unlimited number of users.
Company selling the product is Symtrax (www.symtrax.com).

 We are planning to extend the Data Q monitoring to provide more
functionality that will allow users to route documents to printers based on
the name of the spool file and the user that created it (e.g. Credit Hold
report for Montreal user always goes to the Montreal Finance 2nd floor
printer, etc.)

 This does not require any mods to BPCS which is our religion. This has been
relatively simple to implement but will require a bit of maintenance to
setup spool files / users' group  -> printers mapping.

Marc Chartrand
Eicon Technology