  • Subject: Re: ASSET Y2K Dating
  • From: DAsmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 14:20:34 EST

Chris,

In a message dated 2/16/99 1:02:25 PM Eastern Standard Time,
cdevous@antigua.com writes:

> I was under the impression that ODW is not for AS/SET development, but
rather is a
>  tool for BPCS v6 client development.  Iz I wrong?

Well, that depends on who you ask at SSA, and what time, and the phase of the
moon, and how they're feeling at the time, etc.  All I know for sure is that
it still uses the ADK repository on the /400 side.  I've heard that, even for
the UNIX and NT releases, they port the code from ODW back to an AS/400 and
generate the code with ADK.  I've also heard that they don't.  Perhaps one of
the myriad SSA list members could clarify?

>  [snip]
<<snip>>

>  OS/2 was technically very good, but poorly marketed, sort of like the MCA
bus
>  architecture that IBM came out with in the early-mid 80's.

Exactly.

>  But, of course, the BEST O/S EVER WRITTEN was Kernighan & Ritchie's first
>  version of UNIX.  Now, there was an O/S written to support the REAL users
of
>  computer equipment:  PROGRAMMERS!

Well, we could argue _THAT_ one ad infinitum.  Personally, I'd like to see an
OS geared toward the _USER_ that doesn't crash five times a day.  The latter
would certainly make the job of supporting the IS infrastructure a heck of a
lot easier...

Regards!

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-Mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

"When one door is shut, another opens." -- Miguel De Cervantes
+---