  • Subject: Re: ASSET Y2K Dating
  • From: DAsmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 18:56:11 EST

In a message dated 2/15/99 5:45:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
cdevous@antigua.com writes:

> Yeah, there's like, maybe, 2 or 3 of us.
>
>  I've done a lot in RPG IV (ILE & OPM), III, and II, and I've been using
AS/SET
>  for about 4 years.
>
>  For some reason (my own degenerating brain cells, no doubt) I find ADK code
>  hard to read, but IWS presents it in a way that I find easy to read and
>  understand, so I use IWS.

Hey, don't get me wrong.  I'm one of the few people that actually _LIKED_ IWS.
At least until they screwed up the repository transfer in V4.  Then I started
BPCS work and there was no way to provide NLS with IWS.  I also hated the tiny
screen painter that, when you maximized it, expanded the white border around
the already painted screen.  SSA also seemed to have a problem adapting IWS
for all possible VGA drivers.

>  I was kind of hoping that SSA would come out with a better GUI tool than
IWS
>  for 32 bit windows, along the lines of Visual RPG, so I wouldn't have to
keep this
>  dinosaur around, but alas and alack, they have not seen fit to do so.

ODW is supposed to be GA soon, running under Win NT.  Then again, Riz Shakir
announced it at the Fall '95 AS/Set Users' Group meeting and we have yet to
see it.  One can only hope, but the demo I saw in December '98 didn't look
ready yet...

>  So I run OS/2 (aka half an operating system) and IWS on an old P-150,
'cause
>  I'm old and stodgy.  Of course, my 32 bit Win-Doze machine SMOKES....

Errrrrr, OS/2 is the greatest operating system ever written except for MAC/OS
and OS/400.  Too bad IBM wasn't as good at marketing it as they were at
writing it.  OS/2 runs Windoze applications better than Windoze.  Windoze
doesn't run OS/2 applications at all -- monopoly, NAAAAAH!  Mine smokes too,
especially when I try to run a '95 app on '98 or NT ;-)...

>  By the way, do you still have my watch...  :=)

What watch ;-)?

Cheers,

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-Mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

"Courage is very important.  Like a muscle, it is strengthened by use." --
Ruth Gordon
+---