  • Subject: Re: Re[2]: BPCS 6.04 on an AS400 Model 300/2042
  • From: DAsmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 16:39:00 EDT

Judy,

<<snip>>
> We seem to be a fairly small shop in comparison to most of you.  We have
>  about 15 users.  Our response time on our current 9406-E45 running BPCS
>  4.01 is acceptable.  Didn't realize 6.04 would slow us down so
>  dramatically.

The sad thing is, you ought to be able to run on that E45 with only 15 users.
With any release greater than 4.05CD, you get a "double whammy".  First, you
get what I call the "CASE Crunch" because all the programs are written in
AS/Set.  A well-written AS/Set program is 2.5 times larger than the equivalent
3GL RPG program (and believe you me, most of these V6 programs are _NOT_ well-
written).  I'm not picking on AS/Set, though -- MAPICS users go through the
same thing with Synon versions when they upgrade.

Blow number two comes from the SQL added to support UNIX.  Replacing a simple
CHAIN (read) with an SQL single-record fetch?  Are you telling me the code
couldn't have been converted to do the equivalent in "C" without the SQL?  Is
it really possible that UNIX processes SQL statements _FASTER_ than an RDB
read?  I don't think so...

>  SSA has sent me the BPCS sizing questionnaire and we are in the process of
>  filling it out.  Guess we'll find out what they have to say.

I don't know about small systems, and SSA _does_ have a new questionnaire.
However, the rule of thumb for large systems under the old questionnaire was
to take what they said, increase the processor by one level, and double the
memory.  I would _highly_ recommend that you get it written into the contract
that, if the recommended configuration should prove inadequate, SSA pays for
whatever hardware upgrades you may need.  Others have done it, and were glad
they did...

JMHO,

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-Mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please
everybody." -- Bill Cosby (another Bill should take this to heart)
+---