The real problem is there are no Open Source tradition, but instead a long
tradition for thinking proprietary on IBM i, yes, there is Open Source, but
most Open Sourcer's sits as "King of the Cops" on their projects and most
IBM i Open Source projects is very technical and specific.

I sit in a group of 40 small ISV's/consultants - many of them hasn't got a
booming business at this time, do I hear, Henrik, could I join your project,
no, they are like sitting ducks waiting to either get blown out of business
or for a miracle to save them.

This tread is a good example, instead of focusing on the real challenge it
has become a question on how to save a dollar or a dime!

I have also contact to several bigger ISV's in several countries; here
becomes the proprietary thinking very âvisibleâ.

It is not a simple task to get proprietary thinking people to join an Open
Source initiative, either they don't want to deliver resources or they think
that they can do a better job themselves or they want to build a proprietary
solution they can control and sell.

I think I have heard any possible excuse for not joining an Open Source
project, such as - ooh, then our competitor can just download "our" software
and compete with us! Yes, but who will sit on the knowledge and on the
resources around it? If we join the project only you (me) will benefit!
Maybe, that depends on how the project is organized on longer terms, but by
the way, haven't I just given you a big framework for free? Open Source
isn't really free, is it? No, only if you expect me to travel to your
company, do a 3 days education and deliver 30 hours of endless monthly
support and pay your employees salary while I do it â so it isn't a really
free ride, because it won't happen!

The success of any bigger Open Source initiative on an international scale
isn't only to deliver the software, it depends on the ability to bring
others into the project and to create a virtual international resource (in
form of support forums etc.) around it and there is also the whole question
on national language support etc. - and any of these activities are a âone
man armyâ job!

But this is still my vision in my powerEXT project, but it is apparently a
very slow and hard process to accomplice, but I believe that it can be done
and it just a question of âgetting the ball rollingâ and when it happens,
the hardware situation is the least problem in building such an environment.

Many Open Sourcerâs tends to forget that an Open Source initiative is as
heavily depended on branding and media as any proprietary product â it is
business just with another (and more global) business model, it is
personalized, it hasnât got a big physical HQ with a big glass facades and a
lot of affiliates, shareholders or others â but as in a normal business it
is organized, simply because a larger Open Source initiative has to deliver
same or even better quality, stability and innovation than their proprietary
counterparts to have credibility and to be a success.