You and I are working on very similar concepts. Except you are using JSON
and JavaScript and I am using XML and C#.NET. I am all for working together
to come up with one solid solution.

--
Mike Wills
http://mikewills.info

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 3:22 PM, Aaron Bartell <aaronbartell@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

I could probably supply some expertise/code, however it would be nice
to see some sort of high level design document and specification on you
are planning for this to work.

Agreed. That is a must so we can know where we are going. I have been
taking a "vacation day" to put some stuff together. Here is what I
produced
in the last hour that details a high level idea of what a full loop
request/response looks like:

http://mowyourlawn.com/pics/RPGUI_highlevel.jpg

I have a couple page document that I will clean up and post that details
more in-depth requirements.

Based on your web site post if somebody is funding your time on this is
there a commercial interest ?

The company I am working with has said they need a new front end for their
home grown software and are willing to let all of the non-company specific
code be completely open sourced (my requirement to them). I would have to
ask them if they want to be made known that they are monetarily supporting
this effort, though right now I am just happy to have somebody supporting
the effort so I don't want to rock the boat if you know what I mean ;-)

Concerning my interest: Right now my goal is to create a completely free
and
open source solution that is easy for either regular shops or an ISV to
use.
For myself, I plan to make money on the effort in a number of areas:
Professional services, write a book, write articles, write SAAS
applications
that utilize the framework, etc (i.e. SalesForce is a SaaS type application
for those wondering what the heck that acronym is).

In the end I want to create something that keeps people on the IBM i using
framework that is more simple to use than the others I have used in other
environments (i.e. JSF, PHP). This year I have heard of many shops leaving
the IBM i because they don't have a reality based modernization path -
everything out there leads them away from the IBMi: EGL, Java, PHP, .NET.
am not looking to start a language war, but instead see what we can create
as a community that is fully intentioned to keep RPG programmers in RPG -
giving shops the most ROI. But the key is that the framework needs to be
open source and free (free as in beer and I need to see if GPL v3 works for
free as in "usage liberty" concerning ISV needs). I was hoping Niels from
IceBreak would have an update on that framework becoming open sourced
because that would negate my efforts, but I haven't been able to turn
anything up in my searches that it was in fact open sourced (last
collaborations on midrange lists is from late 2008).

Aaron Bartell
www.SoftwareSavesLives.com

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 2:43 PM, Richard Schoen <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I could probably supply some expertise/code, however it would be nice to
see some sort of high level design document and specification on you are
planning for this to work.

The EXTJS examples look nice.

Based on your web site post if somebody is funding your time on this is
there a commercial interest ?

Can you share who that is ?

Regards,
Richard Schoen
RJS Software Systems Inc.
"Get the information you need. Now!"
Document Management, Workflow, Report Delivery, Forms and Business
Intelligence
Email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web Site: http://www.rjssoftware.com
Tel: (952) 736-5800