Well, cough, in the M$ world I would use it to route traffic to a different
servers (one app one server approach).

True, but in that case you're using a separate IP address for each domain name instead of a different port. That should work with different instances too. Just have each instance bind to a different IP address.

Of course, IP addresses can be expensive (if they're all publicly available) but it's an idea.

Anything that is customer facing I would never have them see ports in the
URL (if I could help it).  Reason is I can almost guarantee if you have your
app at http://myserver.com:8080/MyApp they will many times go to
http://myserver.com/MyApp.

Absolutely true.

That's one of the beauties of sub domains (DNS experts correct me if I am
wrong). They are abstracted up to your DNS server instead of a single
machine. So you can have http://sub1.domain.com point to a different machine
than http://sub2.domain.com.

Okay, but we weren't talking about splitting the HTTP server tasks across different machines, were we? The OP has multiple servers running on one machine, but doesn't want to have to specify the port number in his URLs.

The site that my http://mowyourlawn.com website is on hosts about 30+ small
fairly static domains and each domain has it's own "child" Apache
virtualhost configuration file that is governed from a main "parent" Apache
configuration file.

That's usually done by a /COPY (to use the RPG terminilogy) type of thing. You can include other files from the main one. But you still risk a directive in the sub-file screwing up the main one. Plus, you have to take the main server down to re-load the configuration.

I don't know if I answered your question or not, but hopefully you know more of where I am coming from.

Yes, I understand where you're coming from.

I, actually, come from a similar point of view. I've been working with Apache running under FreeBSD for far longer than it has existed on the iSeries. One of the most popular uses for FreeBSD is running Web servers. Some of the biggest Web sites in the world (Yahoo, for example) are run on FreeBSD. So web serving is a big deal in that community.

I participate in FreeBSD forums as well as iSeries ones. In the FreeBSD arena, you _never_ hear of people running more than one server instance. Okay, maybe "never" is a little strong, but it's extremely unusual.

Yet, it seems like just about every single iSeries shop does it.

I've always thought that was peculiar. I've asked iSeries people many times, "Why do you want to run this under a separate instnace? Why not just run it under the main instance?" To me, coming from my background, it has always seemed very bizarre that people run lots of instances instead of just one main one.

The answer that I've received, every time I've asked this, was that they wanted an instance that they could monkey around with. They wanted to be able to play with different settings and take the server up and down without any risk of messing up the main server.

This never happens in FreeBSD or Windows systems because people who want to play and test will just set up their own server on their own computer (the one they use as a desktop, or whatever) and then they won't have to worry about messing anyone else up. But on the iSeries, companies usually can't afford a separate system for every developer. They'll have one test system that has to be shared by many developers. So, for testing, people set up their own instances instead of separate servers.

That's why your answer didn't make sense at first. DNS only controls which IP address you get when you look up a name. It doesn't switch to different instances. Sure, you can run lots of virtual hosts under one instance, but that doesn't provide the same level of insulation against messing up the server.

But, what didn't occur to me in that last message, is that you could potentially run different instances under different IP addresses instead of different port numbers. That would work.