Nathan,

I think I have this working in both IE 6 and Moz.  Here's your styles:

      .layer1_class { position: absolute; z-index: 1; top: 100px; left:
0px; visibility: visible; }
      .layer2_class { position: absolute; z-index: 2; top: 10px; left:
10px; visibility: hidden }

Here's your JS function:
    <script>
      function downLoad(){
        if (document.all){
        document.all["layer1"].style.visibility="hidden";
        document.all["layer2"].style.visibility="visible";
        }
        else if (document.layers){
        document.layers.layer1.visibility="hidden";
        document.layers.layer2.visibility="visible";
        }
        else if (document.getElementById){
        node = document.getElementById("layer1").style.visibility='hidden';
        node = document.getElementById("layer2").style.visibility
='visible';
        }
      }
    </script>

Refer to the div's as follows:

Mozilla seems to like this stuff in classes.  IE 6 does not seem to mind
either way.  With this, I get my waiting message in either browser.

Mike E.

                    "Nathan M. Andelin"

                    <nandelin@xxxxxxxxxx       To:     "Web Enabling the AS400
/ iSeries" <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                    -data.com>                 cc:

                    Sent by:                   Subject:     Re: [WEB400]
Message while SQL is pulling records...
                    web400-bounces@xxxxx

                    nge.com

                    07/17/2003 08:24 PM

                    Please respond to

                    Web Enabling the

                    AS400 / iSeries

> From: <MEovino@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Stick something like this in your ...

Good example, Mike.  Combining CSS style and JavaScript to control
visibility of the user message.

> It works well in IE 6, not so well in Mozilla (if someone
> wants to play around with this).

I've noticed that too.

> Does Mozilla fire the onload event as soon as the page starts to
> load?

I don't think the problem is with the timing of the onload event.  Netscape
just doesn't seem to support the display or visibility attributes of CSS.
At least, I haven't been able to get it to work.  I'm still looking for a
standards compliant way to toggle element visibility on and off in
Netscape.

Nathan M. Andelin
www.relational-data.com