On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 4:20 PM, Jon Paris <jon.paris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
That makes sense Thomas - problem is though that I suspect even if you get it going it will be slower than Christmas.

Do the PHP or Python variants have what you want?

If he uses the PCRE library, which is implemented in C, I think it
will be about as fast as anything that has similar capability. This is
a battle-tested library, and pretty much THE go-to regular expression
library for those who do not want to reinvent the wheel. In fact, PHP
uses PCRE.

Python does not use PCRE, but its standard-library regexes are closer
to Perl's than to the basic regexes implemented by IBM. There is also
a third-party Python library which matches or even goes beyond what
PCRE has. I would not expect this to be faster than PCRE though.

Indeed, if you're concerned about execution speed, you probably don't
want to start a PHP or Python interpreter, just to get at their regex.
You want to call the compiled C code as directly as possible.

John Y.