On 7/16/2014 10:56 AM, Edmund Reinhardt wrote:

[buck]
The crazy part about this is that I spent 20 years flipping through
green bar printouts to find things like this. You'd think it would be
an easy transition to use an Outline, but I... I think I'm mouse-phobic
or something!

How to use the outline view using only key strokes

In the editor (has to be 9.1)
Ctrl-F7 - Enter (takes you to the outline view)
Shift-Tab (puts focus on the filter entry field of the outline view)
PROC1 (as you type each char, the outline view is subsetted to declarations
containing what you have typed so far. )
Tab (focus in the tree view)
Arrow down to the proc (only decl there)
+ (expands to show references)
Arrowing up and down will highlight the reference you want in the editor

Neat! I'd add that once positioned via the Outline, F12 will take one
to the editor pane.

[buck]
I appreciate that I can use the Outline to drill down into a file and
see what fields are coming in to the program, but I'm not sure that I
appreciate seeing one set of 'references' under 'Files' and another,
different set under 'Fields'.

Clicking on the field name does different things depending on which
section of the Outline I'm in. In Files, I'm taken to the F-spec. The
utility of that completely escapes me, and I have a good imagination. I
just drilled down from the File to the Record Format to the Field and
the Outline wants to take me to the F-spec. OK, so... don't click that
field name.

- some people want to know where this file is referenced and exactly which
fields within it are referenced where

I'm not a UI guy - I'm a back end programmer. I'm really the last
person on earth qualified to comment on the utility of a UI. I can only
note that my brain seems to want something different. Maybe the actual
line number instead of having to click on the file name to see where in
the code the file is defined? I dunno.

- others just want to know where the fields in the RPG name space (defined
in many possible different ways) are referenced
So we provide both
The field under the File was defined by the file, if you want references
to it, expand it and you will see the other definition

An interesting choice. Can't say I disagree with it; all I can say is
that my pattern-matching hindbrain seems to prefer that all the
references show in all the places. Maybe what I really need is to see
some video of someone using the Outline for actual editing. I
definitely feel weird being the only person who doesn't get it.
--buck