Thank you Scott.

Let me first say how much I appreciate your work and without your examples
on coding , procedures and APIs I would most likely still be coding RPGIII,

From: Scott Klement <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I'm not having the problems you describe with embedded SQL. Can you
perhaps tell me how to reproduce at least one of the errors you're seeing?

I'm also at V5R4. I know there are PTFs that fixed some of the bigger
problems with embedded SQL. Do you have those installed?

I would appreciate knowing what PTFs apply for V5R4.
We are not on the latest cume. I see only references to V5R3 ptfs for
the SQL issues. One of the resolutions I see is to 'turn up' the compile
severity level, to allow severity 11 errors through.

I'm a little confused about what this has to do with RDi/WDSC. Did you
post
this to the wrong list? Or did I miss a detail (like "it compiles from PDM
but >not WDSC")

What has this to do with WDSCi?
WDSCi is touted as a way to improve programmer productivity.
Yes it is pretty, but if one does not also implement some method for code
reuse
the productivity increase I find is next to nothing.

I only use PDM for compiles, I find WDSCi too cumbersome.
Yes the compile fails no matter how it is initiated.

Also, you say you paid $2000 for RDi, but then you say you are using
WDSC v6 (which didn't cost anything above & beyond the cost of the RPG
compiler).

True and True. We will get RDi when we go to V6R1 in Feb next year.
The justification was in productivity gains. The money is committed.
I am trying to set up a methodology by modular coding so that interactive
programs can be coded in about half the time it takes at present.
The SQL problem has me stuck.
Strangely though sometimes the host variable not being unique is not
detected as an error.
I can show a sample program that is based on the template, its a bit big
and I am not sure this is the right forum.

So I'm a bit baffled by that, as well. Your statement would've made sense
if
you were using RDi-SOA -- but is confusing if you're using WDSC v6.

Sadly I am not even in the game re Rdi SOA. I have no idea how to implement
SOA. I have no concept how to get productivity gains with SOA.
From the little I have gleaned I understand SOA to be a message based
architecture based on something like MQ Series, with monolitihic transaction
processor servers doing the actual work. (But I am probably mistaken.)