Buck wrote:
As I noted, there is a new package, RDi-SOA for Java, which pretty much fits the niche that WDSC fell into.

I respect your opinion on this, but I certainly don't use WDSC for Java and never have. Here is the text for EDT0630:
Not sure why you're on this pitch, but I'll try once more and then I'm not going to engage anymore, Buck.

There are two facets of WDSC: you can look at it as the full WDSC tool that supports all Java EE development, or you can look as it as simply the ADTS replacement which is only those parts of WDSC which are now bundled as RDi. Two different perspectives.

At the time, since they didn't have the bundling technology perfected yet, so they gave us both. Seeing how much grief they've gotten for it from some folks, the right answer might have been to wait until they had RDi perfected, but they didn't.

So anyway, long story short, RDi is what *you* used WDSC for, Buck. It was *not* what WDSC is. RDi-SOA for Java is what WDSC really is.

Message ID . . . . . . : EDT0630

Message . . . . : Have you tried the modern alternative to SEU? Press F1 for more details.
Cause . . . . . : WEBSPHERE DEVELOPMENT STUDIO CLIENT is part of the tool set that you already own. It's a full set of workstation tools for server programmers. It includes things like Web tools, Java tools, WebFacing, and a modern tool for traditional RPG/Cobol development called Remote Systems Explorer(RSE). Give the new tools a try. Once you've taken the time to get familiar with RSE, you'll find you can be even more productive than with the old text-based server tools. You can find a no-charge distance learning course on WEBSPHERE DEVELOPMENT STUDIO CLIENT at: http://www-306.ibm.com/software/awdtools/wdt400/library/iSeriesAppDev.html
Yup, *at the time* WDSC was the replacement for ADTS.

Since you didn't pay for WDSC in the first place, I don't expect an upgrade option.

I don't know how to respond to this. Did IBM not *clearly* try to push people from SEU to WDSC? Wasn't it IBMs idea to bundle Code/400 - WDSC with ADTS in the first place? To spur adoption of WDSC? I hope you can see why I'm just a little disappointed. I suppose the announcement means I can keep my 8 entitled SEU seats *and* buy 8 RDi seats at a discount, paying SWMA on 8 seats of SEU and 8 seats of RDi.
Not sure what you're missing. Buck. IBM tried to push you off of ADTS onto what was available at the time, WDSC. Now they want you to use RDi. What do you care whether it's RDi or WDSC? You don't, because you don't use WDSC for it's non-RDi capability. The only thing you're complaining about is that you have to pay for RDi.

You have to pay for either RDi or ADTS. Your choice. You don't have to keep paying SWMA on ADTS if you don't use it. Or you can have two seats of ADTS and six seats of RDi. What is the problem?

Thanks for all the details. Although it might seem simple to you, it's not that clear to those of us who don't chat with George Farr on a regular basis.
If you actually knew George, you'd know that nobody chats with him on a regular basis - he's far too busy. I find out the facts by going to user groups, emailing IBMers, asking on IBM forums - all of which you could do.

Let's say I want to get into contracting and I buy a retail copy of RDi. Can I use that to connect to multiple client i machines, or does each client need to install something before that will work?
Everybody needs the back-end component, just like every client you talked to originally had to install 5722WDS feature 60. The problem is that I don't know what that LPP/feature code is, or what it is included with. You might consider asking your BP, and if they don't know, writing an email to George.

In any event, I'd really rather not argue with you anymore. I've spent a lot of time trying to explain the situation, and frankly it doesn't look like anything I can say will make you happy. And since I don't get paid for it, I think my CFO would prefer I spend time on other things <smile>.

Joe