No, what they want is for the System i to survive. Unfortunately,
having unlimited seats to every possible tool included in the
single-price 5722WDS product didn't make any money. And with no money
coming in, there is no budget for development. Unlike Microsoft, whose
development is subsidized by millions and millions of copies of Windows,
there just aren't enough i5/OS sales to support free tools.

Joe

Let's hope that it won't kill us in the process...
You know, we, IT companies, invest a lot of time, energy and money, just
to keep the system i alive.
The first mistake made by IBM was to let others install computers in the
University. Too many people graduate with a perfect knowledge of Microsoft
software, HP hardware, so it's what they install and use when they become
IT managers. They barely know what a system i is, and worse, they do think
and tell that it's just like a new brand for some kind of a S36.
I've been working with AS400 for 17 years, and it was love at first sight.
I can assure you that today, I already spend a lot of money to go on
working with this fabulous machine, when it would be so easy to go to the
low cost way : cheap stuff x 100000 customers instead of expensive stuff x
10 customers !
Let's hope that Mr IBM, won't forget that we are a lot of tiny companies
and independants who contribute to keep system i running, and that he will
try to provide entry packages so that we can go on !

With best wishes,

Marie-Line