I agree completely and entered a request in FRED for this last year.  See
request #186, it currently has 5 votes.

In our TurnOver plugins for WDSC, we allow the user to use either the
Eclipse or LPEX compare.  When using the Eclipse compare, we were able to
make it work fine for iSeries source.  You just have to supply a compare
provider that ignores the sequence and date fields in the source.  The
problem with the Eclipse compare facility is that it does not allow for
editing, even when using it for things like Java.  Even if it did, I do
not know how well it would support iSeries languages.

I believe that this is supposed to be a bit better in Eclipse 3.0, so
maybe there is a better foundation for IBM to build something good on.

This is the sort of editing feature I wish they would spend more time on.
I do not really like the appearance of the LPEX compare, but I could live
with it if you could edit the result and they spent more time on the UI
for initiating the compare.

Mark

wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 10/19/2004 11:14:23 AM:

> IMO, the compare and merge facilities are very weak. CODE has a much
better
> compare, the one in RSE is Eclipse-based and includes the source date
and
> sequence number, IIRC. I had reported this to IBM, and I believe there
> might be some changes in the offing.
>
> There is also a compare with in an iSeries project - again,
Eclipse-based -