One of the JVM's appears to be IBM's 1.4.0 JVM. How can I get WDSc to
use it? Taking out J9 doesn't seem to do the trick. I really really need
the ability to run WDSc under a 1.4 JDK and 5.1.2 seems to have
introduced something that makes WDSc not run with Sun's 1.4.2 JVM. Right
now, I am running Eclipse 3.0 along side of WDSc because of this and it
is really touchy when you switch a project in and out of Eclipse/WDSc. I
suspect others will start running into this situation when they have to
deal with SSH2.

David Morris

>>> esimpson@xxxxxxxxxx 8/30/2004 7:32:25 AM >>>

Don Yantzi posted steps to try and avoid some JVM crashes.  I will
the content here.  Please give it a try.
We have recently linked a lot of these JVM crashes to a defect in the
Java Virtual Machine (JVM) that runs the workbench.  The bad news is
we do not yet have a fix ready to ship for this problem, but the good
is that there is an easy workaround.

WDSc actually ships with 2 IBM JVM's that can be used to run the
By default a high performance JVM called J9 is used, this is the JVM
has the defect.  Following the instructions below you can switch to
just the standard JVM as opposed to the J9 JVM.  You may notice a
decrease in performance using the standard JVM, but as soon as we get
fix out you can then switch back to J9.  Here are the instructions:

Note:  for others on the list that are not experiencing these crashes
is no reason to switch to the standard JVM.

Steps to disable J9:

1.- Locate the file wdsc.ini.  One way to find the directory is by
clicking on the WDSC
icon in Start -> Programs, and selecting Properties.  The default
for this is:

C:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere Studio\Application Developer\v5.1 (or

2.- Make a backup copy of it.
3.- Edit wdsc.ini to remove the line
Eric Simpson