Vern said:  "I go back and forth on this. I try to do nice indents and other
"pretty-print" stuff, and, of course, that's wiped out if you prompt in SEU.
So I give up on "pretty-print". But then the structure is harder to follow."

I do a fair amount of CL coding, but I still rely heavily on F4 in SEU.
(Why overload my brain with details when command prompting is one of the
great facilities of OS/400?)  I hate the default formatting that results.

Fortunately, many years ago Ernie Malaga (?sp) wrote a CL formatter for
Midrange Computing.  I like and have grown used to the indented source it
creates.  If I destroy the formatting by prompting it takes just a couple of
seconds to reformat the whole program.

It's a REXX program that is quite nippy on RISC machines.  It relies on
fully prompted CL code, but for me that isn't an issue, though I know some
people consider some command keywords as "noise".

I run Ernie's command as a PDM user option.  Works great for me, since I do
most CL programming in SEU because I find the LPEX prompting too slow.  I do
tidy up and comment the code in LPEX.  (In theory I suppose I could run the
indenter from RSE as long as the member isn't open in LPEX.)

The formatter will stop working at V5R3 when new opcodes are introduced to
CL, but I suspect it could be upgraded, though I'm not a REXX expert.

Seems to me that something similar could/should be put into the LPEX editor
for CL, but auto indenting of RPG Free is probably more important.

Sam

FWIW, here's a sample of the resulting indented codel:

   /* If not *ALL, process member immediately */
   IF COND(&SRCMBR *NE '*ALL') THEN(DO)
      RTVMBRD FILE(&SRCFLIB/&SRCF) MBR(&SRCMBR) SRCTYPE(&SRCTYPE)
      IF COND(&SRCTYPE *NE 'CL' *AND &SRCTYPE *NE 'CLP' *AND +
         &SRCTYPE *NE 'CLP38') THEN(DO)
         SNDPGMMSG MSGID(CPF9898) MSGF(QCPFMSG) MSGDTA('Member' +
            *BCAT &SRCMBR *BCAT 'is not a CL source member') +
            MSGTYPE(*ESCAPE)
         RETURN
      ENDDO
      ELSE CMD(DO)
         CALL PGM(INDCLC2) PARM(&SRCMBR &SRCF &SRCFLIB &CVTCASE +
            &INDRMKS &OUTPUT &SAVOLDSRC &BGNCOL &INDCOL &INDCONT)
         MONMSG MSGID(CPF0000) EXEC(DO)
            RCVMSG MSGTYPE(*EXCP) MSGDTA(&MSGDTA) MSGID(&MSGID) +
               MSGF(&MSGF) MSGFLIB(&MSGFLIB)
            SNDPGMMSG MSGID(&MSGID) MSGF(&MSGFLIB/&MSGF) +
               MSGDTA(&MSGDTA) MSGTYPE(*ESCAPE)
            RETURN
         ENDDO
      ENDDO