A happy follow-up -

I got pretty aggressive with the registry - searched for WDSC, WDT400, WSSD, etc., and deleted most entries (not recently used items, they don't matter, I think).

Used RegCleaner to remove the various WebSphere applications from the registry - nice, dangerous tool, BTW. ;-)

Made a copy of the old workspace directory.

Deleted C:\WDSC and subdirectories, the WebSphere directory under Program Files, and some other stuff, I think.

Then I installed v5.1 - WSSD and iSeries extensions. Used default locations. Got 2 "successful installation" messages - GREAT!!!

Rebooted

Replaced workspace in My Documents with old one (from v5.0.1)

Started the product - I wish the order of items on the follow-up dialog had the CODE & VA/RPG item first, as the dialog goes away if you launch the product first. Was prompted for conversion to new format, as per install instructions

Was surprised to see 2 instances of the client starting up, but after shutting everythign down, only one instance comes up now.

Took Programs option to complete CODE & VA/RPG installation - the option, however, does not go away - should it be gone?
All in all, everything is going very nicely now.I had lots of "stuff" from earlier versions hanging around. These resulted, I believe, in things not getting installed (like VAR/PG) and getting a few error messages. Getting to a fairly "virgin" configuration is making everything work fine. I highly recommend this step, esp. if you've been through the wars, as I have.

HTH
Vern