Aaron,

Using Struts in your example, Struts is the actual servlet and it will take
on the job of executing your Java method when it should be invoked.  It
makes the request, session etc. all available to your code, so you would
pull out the XML, call your program and place your result in the request
object.  You would then just return some value like "success".

Struts would then invoke something else, typically a JSP that pulls the
results from the request object and displays it to the user.  Of course in
a real app, that might just be one of many things that happen prior to
displaying the results to the user.

I think it lets you make your code cleaner and more compartmentalized which
helps later with reuse.  This also makes it easier to divide up
responsibility.  The code that is written "in Struts" is typically just
assembling other classes that you write.  So you really are not writing
that much code that is tied to the actual servlet architecture.

Mark