  • Subject: Re: hierarchies
  • From: "STANLEY ROCKEY" <srockey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 15:54:40 -0500

I thought I'd throw in my two cents worth since you mentioned you considered
the delivery address approach but had a problem because of the number of
DSEQ's.

I have worked with a number of Style users who have over 3,000 delivery
addresses for an account and they are able to set them up as delivery
addresses with no real issues once they tried it.  The delivery address code
of course cannot be the actual store number but so what.  The store number
is incorporated into either the account name field or as part of address
line one.  You just make sure that address line one is one of the chosen
customer search attributes in the OE Company Profile.  When entering an
order or looking up something for the customer, you just depress F4 and
enter the store number in address line one lookup.  The worst scenario is
two or more companies might just have store number 1200, in which case you
then 'select' the one you want.  You really do not need to know the actual
delivery address code at all.

I've had some near rebellions in class when I've told students that the DSEQ
code was only three characters, but after challenging them to try it, they
have always ultimately found it to go away as an issue.  I'd suggest trying
it in a test environment and maybe you will like it after all.

Stan Rockey, Partner
BTC Group LLC
srockey@btcgrp.com