On 21-Oct-2015 14:07 -0500, Buck Calabro wrote:
On 10/21/2015 1:20 PM, CRPence wrote:

A feature of the linear-main is ridding of the cycle and all the
code generated along with making the cycle functional. One of those
features of the cycle that is removed by using linear-main isntead,
is the generation by the compile of exception monitoring and the
implicit handling [for those monitors] being code-generated to
invoke the Run-Time Default Handler.

I myself haven't started using linear-main, and I found this
information about the default error handler interesting. I tried to
read more about it, but was unable to find it documented. None of the
following mention the default error handler:

I started at the MAIN() keyword:
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/ssw_ibm_i_72/rzasd/hmainkw.htm%23hmainkw?lang=en

Then Linear Module:
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/ssw_ibm_i_72/rzasd/linearmod.htm%23linearmod?lang=en

Program Flow in RPG Modules: Cycle Versus Linear:
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/ssw_ibm_i_72/rzasd/cycvslinear.htm?lang=en

I'm deeply familiar with the Detailed RPG IV Program Cycle, and the
only mention of error handling is at 18 / 19 - Undefined record type
or sequence error. Although 39 - Set return code will issue an
escape message on ABEND.
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/ssw_ibm_i_72/rzasd/pgmcycdtl.htm?lang=en

Program Exception/Errors:
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/ssw_ibm_i_72/rzasd/progxpe.htm?lang=en

I mention these only to demonstrate that I /did/ try, and to note
the resources which proved unfruitful.

I have never been too keen on the usability of the docs to help someone find easily what might be important; often some of the most important "ah hah" details are cleverly hidden :-(

However upon further thought, I wonder if I may be conflating the attributes of both MAIN and NOMAIN; i.e. the complete elimination of the default handler feature may come only with the latter.

Being unable to code anything but on v5r3 for several years, I am not [never really have been] all that well-versed in the specifics of what the newer support for RPG effects. Sadly mostly only from reading rather than doing.