Well, by "complicated" I didn't mean that we were calculating trajectories
for moon shots.

I didn't mean to imply that free form was am improvement on fixed format - I
meant to say it explicitly. I started on an early variant developed by Paul
Conte: /RPGFREE. This was back in the late 80's and Paul had versions that
ran on the /400, S/36, and an IDE that ran on a PC. Paul's was a
precompiler since none of the compilers (RPG II and RPG III) could compile
free form code. One limitation was that it was a 1:1 translation; one line
of free form code -> one line of fixed-format code; so you couldn't have
something like: A = (B/C) * D.

I personally find that statement much easier to understand than:

C B DIV C BC
C BC MULT D A

But, hey, I'm just a cowboy from New Mexico. What do I know?

Jerry C. Adams
IBM i Programmer/Analyst
If Gladstone fell into the Thames, it would be a misfortune.  But if someone
pulled him out, it would be a calamity. -Benjamin Disraeli