Ha! Sorry, no allusion intended, Nancy. "Nancy-1" was what the CE called
the 1403 N1 printer, and we just went along. I think "Nancy" came from the
Army's recognition designation for the letter 'N' (you know, Able, Baker,
Charlie...). The N1, by the way, was the top-of-the-line printer back then.
My best recollection (looking into the rearview mirror) is that it was rated
at 1000 LPM (lines per minute). Before spooling became available on the
S/3, though, I do remember seeing print jobs that would print a couple of
lines, sit and wait, print some more lines, ad nauseum. The "sit and wait"
was the program "thinking" before it could send anything to the print file.
Once we got spooling (an extra cost, I think), we could keep the operator
jumping!

Jerry C. Adams
IBM i Programmer/Analyst
I hate sentences that begin "I hate to hurt your feelings, but.".