Thanks everyone. I started with code from:
http://www.scottklement.com/presentations/RPG%20and%20the%20IFS.pdf

I keep forgetting about the working internal variables that RPG uses when
you do multiple operations on one line.

I'll change the length to 5000.

Are you sure I do not have to null terminate the string? Or is this a
stupid question because if I make it varying, it automatically null
terminates it? I thought I had to use some other attribute to
automatically null terminate the variable.

name = %subst(entry.d_name: 1: entry.d_namelen);
// If the name is less than 4 characters it can't be a Domino database
file (.nsf).
// Still could be a directory though. We'll add that logic later...
if entry.d_namelen>4; // possibility of being a Domino database.
if %xlate(lo:up:%subst(name:entry.d_namelen-3:4))='.NSF';
except print;
Endif;
Endif;

Rob Berendt